Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Revolut to Withdraw Cash from ATMs in the States

Options
  • 08-11-2023 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I've never used Revolut and am going to Texas on business. Am getting company Revolut card.

Can anyone onfirm if it will be possible to withdraw cash from ATMs whilst over there? Will need to use cash for certain transactions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’ll cost you €200 limit on free withdrawals from Revolut but American banks/atm operators charge a couple of dollars for each withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MaLiYa

Thanks.

Just so I'm clear:

A. There's a charge for each withdrawal.

B. €200 limit on withdrawlas - assume this is a daily limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

For free Revolut accounts, you can withdraw 200 euro (or equivalent) free per month. Once you go over 200 euro, Revolut will charge you (can't remember the percentage).

So you could find yourself paying

- weekend 1% fee for currency exchange at weekends, charged by Revolut. This is charged on card transactions too, not just cash withdrawal.

- Over 200 euro fee

- ATM fee, charged by the bank operating the machine in the US

There is also a Revolut fee if you exchange more than 1000 euro per month - this includes card transactions as well as ATM withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MaLiYa

It's a business account.

I'm told daily ATM withdrawal limit is capped at 3000 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I believe in a lot of the main cities where an actual bank branch has an ATM machine there's still no charge beyond what Revolut charge but most of the ATM's in the likes of shopping centres, hotels etc are privately owned and will charge large fees of anything from $3 to $10 flat fee wheter it's $10 or $2000 you are withdrawing, can add up quickly. Revolut have no control over these charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Can someone confirm this- that ATMs in actual bank branches in US don't charge a fee for foreigners ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Lasty time I was in the states (2 years ago), and all times previous I have been charged by in bank machines for withdrawals - the rate is a lot lower than machines in shopping centres/hotels though. The amount is on the machine so, it is not a surprise addition. I found it better value to withdraw 'larger' sums occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I was in the states last summer. Didnt get charged anything using revolut or N26. Withdrew cash at ATMs and used cards in shops and restaurants. Only used ATMs at banks though. Same as the UK. No charges there but there are charges at ATMs in shops and shopping centers.

Heres what we did. Myself and GF. We took some cash with us. Loaded up the revoluts with dollars before we went. Also both got N26 cards. Cant remember what the free cash withdrawal amounts were but it tells you in the apps under your account details how much is left for free.

We were able to withdraw cash up to the cash limits on all 4 cards. There was no charge using the revolut card in the shops etc because we had exchanged dollars in the revolut app so the two cards had plenty of dollars. When we needed more we just exchanged euro for dollars in the app.

Thanks all.. if I remember will update post after I get back with my own experience.

And I can't confirm as I didn't have to lift any cash, my wife got a couple of hundred cash in Ireland before we left and that is all we needed cash wise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement