Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchases in the US not available in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-11-2023 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭

Heading to the States next week and wondering if there are any medicines available OTC or bargains with items that are more readily available over there?

One of the girls in work mentioned Diphenhydramine which is an OTC sleeping tablet.

Anyone else look for specific items when over there?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Paracetemol or Acetaminophen (tylenol) as it's known in the US.

An "own brand" version of it from CVS/Walgreens etc. costs about $25 for a bottle of 500 tablets. A 24 pack costs around €4/€5 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Same with ibuprofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is there a specific brand of Ibuprofen that is similar to Solpadene?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Would there not be limits on what you can bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Solphadeine has codeine, so no. You can get Ibuprofen 500 for $8.38 or Acetaminophen 1000 for $11.79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Levi jeans are half the price in the US, usually get a pairs for 80dollars.

Most clothes are much cheaper in places like Macy's. Outlets are fantastic value but they're definitely outlet quality, not old stock.

Drugs are much cheaper, I usually buy a few packs of melatonin. Electronics, especially Apple products are cheaper, maybe 15%.

Americans do Black Friday much better than here, Amazon will deliver to hotels and sometimes they might have collection points near.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Diphenhydramine is available OTC in Ireland--its called Nytol. Or combined with paracetamol its called Panadol Night.

Packages of paracetamol with a pack size over 24 are not permitted to be sold OTC in Ireland. It was introduced in Ireland and UK as a suicide prevention measure, statistically it has been proven to save lives. It doesn't save someone who is determined and goes from store to store.

Someone mentioned melatonin, its only available on script here. I've bought it in the states, also available OTC in Oz for over 55's. No idea why its script only here.

I'm a pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Mortin would be the main ibuprofen brand, but I couldn't tell you how similar it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Codeine is on prescription only in the US due to their codeine addiction epidemic (Oxy etc)

Things you will find over there and not here (or only for mad money):

M and M caramels (dark blue pack)

Milky Way midnight's

Tootsie Rolls.

I could go on!

Also:

Nice stuff from Bath and Body Works (albeit Next do a fair bit now).

Banana Republic clothing.

Stuff on clearance rails. Some shops are better than others for this. Sign up to their special offers to get coupons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anything to do with fishing or hunting will be dramatically cheaper in the US compared to here.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Solpadeine contains Paracetamol(or the yanks call it acetaminophen) , codeine and caffeine.

Ibuprofen(brand in Ireland is Nurofen) is an entirely different painkiller altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Weed and guns are a legally bought in many states in the US but dont be bringing them back here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ireland is significantly stricter on paracetamol than the UK, in the latter you can buy two packets of 16 in a shop. The UK is currently considering reducing this as so many suicides use paracetamol.

There are significant restrictions in the US for Sudafed type products as pseudoephedrine can be misused as an ingredient for the illicit manufacture of methamphetamines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Some may be confused as Solpadeine Migraine in the U.K. contains ibuprofen. Fundamentally, the “Solpadeine” market has changed as not all of them contain codeine anymore although like the addition of the “h” to make solphadeine, many assume it has codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Back now. Thanks for the advice.

I have to say that the quality of shopping in the US in large stores such as Super Target and Walmart has gone down. A lot of their offerings are now only available on-line, such at the XLT section of clothes.

Pharmacy's are still mad places but the choice is nearly overwhelming.

The exchange rate means there are very few proper bargains anymore.

Advertisement