Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I was wrong saying it was Shane Coleman, it was Kieran Cuddihy on The Hard Shoulder. He had Holly Carpenter "influencer" on and Sinead O Carroll from The Journal and another woman Averil..................no balance at all, all these women said men needed to be taught, to learn this can't go on and we need to do "something" to stop the violence against women. Such massive sweeping statements, it really annoyed me. No mention of the fact this man wasn't one of our boyfriends , brothers, husbands, he wasn't Irish at all, he wouldn't listen to Newstalk and "learn" anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'd argue everyone should be careful. It's not just a gender based thing.

We've seen in the news men and women getting attacked by some random waste of oxygen (one of them being a male olympian). And there's still an ongoing case relating to the murder of two gay men in Sligo by some deranged individual. Can't really comment on that further as it's due to appear before the courts.

A male relative of mine was stabbed in an altercation on the street a few years ago. (He suffered extremely severe injuries, but recovered fully, thankfully). Someone else I know had their car stolen, in broad daylight, a few years back. Literally parked their car, went to run a few errands, came back and a group of people were carjacking their car-right in front of them. In broad daylight. Even when he shouted 'that's my car', they just brazenly looked at him with a 'what you gonna do about it?'. He reported the crime, but nothing was done about it- just the insurance covered the cost of the theft.

This was an extreme event. I've known many immigrants to this fine country. Treat women with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭riddles

Do we expect the department of social welfare will now issue an instruction to stop social welfare payments to EU nationals who are in receipt of these payments greater than three months? Would this individual have been here in the first place if he’d not been funded through welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can you mention even one other case where a member of those communities did something like this to a complete stranger?

Cos if not, its just racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where is the evidence of his ethnic background?

All I can see on FB, is an older person of the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mykrodot

yes, absolutely, men too. The case of the 2 Sligo men was horrifying. In that case Palini the murderer said unless he was arrested he would not have stopped murdering gay men , these murders were sexually motivated...............by a non Irish man who had zero tolerance for homosexuality. Huge cultural differences are at the root cause, no respect for women, no respect for gay men.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2023/1023/1412415-yousef-palani/#:~:text=The%20court%20heard%20that%20Palani,and%20prejudice%20towards%20homosexual%20men.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

The law is the law , is an ass- he could appeal if there is grounds that his defence was lackluster or missed any piece that could have impacted the case.

The disease who killed Mr. Moonlight is guilty as hell, but is appealing on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think the murders in sligo were carried out because the murderer was gay himself and couldnt handle the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I was disgusted by the conversation as well, especially as this kind of murder is so rare, you would think it was happening every day in Ireland the way they were talking. They even mentioned men visiting prostitutes, what has that got to do with anything? they were all over the place with their crazy theories. Id love to hear someone have a debate with them about it instead of just painting all men as the enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder is it fair to suggest men of different cultures need to be educated and realise in Ireland and everywhere women cannot be treated as property.

I know we have our own homegrown scumbags but we also have people coming here who are brought up with a different mindset to how they treat women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The Sligo case is over, he pleaded guilty and has been sentenced

No, it isn't fair to suggest that. evil guys like this will always exist and no lessons on how to treat women will suddenly turn them into nice people who wont kill people. it is just racist to to suggest what you have just suggested.

Where did Larry Murphy grow up? and all the other crazy evil monsters who have killed people in this Country.

what about the women here who hired hitmen to kill their husbands? the woman who killed the guy in Dublin for parking his car outside her house? I didnt hear anyone talking about violence against men then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ireland is one generation removed from divorce being illegal and the rape statute having a marriage exemption, and 2 generations from women having to give up civil service jobs if they got married.

We're better than we used to be but let's not take the moral high ground on femininity just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

First and foremost, I hope Ashling is finally at peace now that her killer has been found guilty.

My thoughts are with her family and her loved ones as they now start the grieving process. It must have been so tough for them to sit through that trial and listen to the details surrounding her murder.

I was following the trial and I found Puska to be most deliberately frustrating. Everything he said and everything in his defence was a lie and a contradiction, going around in circles. Did he think that by lying and changing his narrative that it would throw the evidence into doubt? The fact that he chose to plead not guilty when he knew the evidence was there to convict him so that he could have a trial and that put her family through an awful past few weeks.

I'm not sure what we as the general public can take from this trial or change. In the aftermath of Ashling's murder, the conversation of women's safety came up in my social circles, as I sure happened with a lot of other people. I was a little surprised at the amount of women who had said that they, at one time or another, felt uncomfortable or unsafe while out exercising on their own. Men in my social circle said that they were not aware of any time they may have made a woman feel uncomfortable and hoped that they never had inadvertently. Since Ashling's murder, a woman I know had an attempted attack on her while out exercising - things haven't changed.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The media and various NGOs have had a field day with this murder - they know exactly what they are doing, it's human instinct/weakness to value the life of a young, good looking woman over other people's lives. Result is incidents such as this can be milked for all they are worth and used to push various agendas and angles.

If Puska had come into my elderly mother's house and raped and killed her would it have received the same media attention? Would the President and Taoiseach have attended her funeral as they did for Ashling?

As pointed out by Sinead McGarry, the rape of a dementia patient in a nursing home received far less attention from Women's Aid and other NGOs than the rape of young woman in Mayo.

"Older women in the Emily case tried to tell staff about their abuse. Though their story was on RTE news throughout Wed, many of the funded organisations & people who speak up for women's rights paid little/no attention to the story. No outrage, no press releases, few tweets. While DublinRCC tweeted 12 times about the rape of Ciara Mangan, they tweeted ONCE about the Emily case. Both Womens_Aid and NWCI tweeted once about Ciara Mangan, NO tweets about the sexual abuse of multiple equally terrorised older women in a nursing home"

Also some absolute tripe posted in this thread - the guy was not an "incel" he has 5 children and is the opposite of an incel. Arseholes, thugs, abusers and criminals like him have no difficulty getting laid, they have more children with more women than the average man. This individual will probably now get love letters in prison thanks to his new found fame. If we are going to tell "men" that they need to cop themselves on and stop raping and killing women, how about we tell "women" to stop encouraging thugs/criminals/arsehole/bullies by dating and having children (thuglets who will perpetuate the cycle) with them?

I see that in Slovakia where Puska is from, it is legal to carry pepper spray in public and use it in self defence and apparently the police encourage such use. It's also legal to carry and use in some other countries e.g. Germany. if Ashling had been carrying this, perhaps it would have made a difference. Of course nobody wants to even discuss this, instead we get absolute bullsh*t on national radio about how half the population might need a licence to go out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Don't forget the scissor sisters, who killed a man, cut him up, put him in a suitcase and threw him into the canal I think or was it the river Tolka?

The fact is that there are evil/sick people living amongst us in plain sight. As I said in an earlier post on this thread that no one will know who these people are till those people act out, now some will give of vibes that will make the hair on your neck stand up, some will be creeps which most folks will avoid but most will appear as normal as anyone else until that day happens and they act on their impulses and get caught. Another poster was asking about studies on these people to help identify them but truth is that it is different for each of them and some of them are very good at hiding their behaviors. All anyone can do is be aware of their surroundings and take precautions and even then as we have seen with Ashlings murder and other murders/disappearances even then someone could find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Yes it was heartbreaking. A family just going about their lives as normal cast to national prominence while grieving an awful crime. Her father talking about the music coming from the room next door and no longer hearing it - heartbreaking.

I can only imagine how they are feeling today and I bet their victim impact statements will be powerfully heartbreaking.

I hope after that they can somehow move on with their lives after the sentencing - safe in the knowledge that they at least got justice for their dear Ashling. It won't bring her back, but hopefully that can be of some comfort to them. But we as a society need to make sure her death was not in vain. But this isn't the place to discuss.

May Ashling RIP.

The thread really descended from the civilised discussions of yesterday evening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

I see a lot of replies praising this post and saying its sickening and wrong and needs change have been deleted this morning by the mods

Irelands largest forum 🙄

We've a battle on our hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Welcomed with open arms.

Ah your back is sore sure we will give you disability benefit for life.

5 kids . Ah sure here is a 5 bedroom house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

Imagine the reverse

What would you get in Slovakia

On the Slovakia thing, he doesn't look Slovakian or Eastern European, he and his family look Romanian or Turkish or down his family tree someone in Slovakia was with a gypsy

Anyone know of his ethnicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Maybe this is why in his head he thought his scheme of lies would work, sure hadn't they worked before with the soft touch authorities here, I've seen these forms for disability and carers allowance, they are complicated enough, he had plenty English to fill them out then, not so dim when it comes to entitlements that lad I'd wager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

In fairness those sisters killed a rapist who repeatedly assaulted their mother. He had it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Remember the early reports of his confession {in extremely broken English though he's here since 2013)? I am the murderer. I murder. I seem to recall him asking "Will I do ten years?". He was already checking out his options. That was his only concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He's a Romany Gypsy.

When he's name was leaked at the very beginning you could search his Facebook and it was obvious.

There was also photos of him working for a landscaping company in Tullamore also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be pointed out that this type of random killing by a total stranger is (thankfully) extremely rare. The vast majority of women are murdered by people they know well, often a partner or husband. It's difficult to legislate against a lone nutter making a decision to randomly kill someone in the middle of the day or to know how you could possibly prevent it from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭acceletor

I understand where your coming from here.

Our own woman haters are far too white Irish stale Christian etc.

In order to prove our commitment to gold standard diversity we should embrace women haters from other ethnic and cultural background lest we be considered bigots and xenophobia….(worse then Nazis)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Last night on Prime Time - "One of the reasons why this reasonated so immediately with half the population in particular is we recognize ourselves in Ashling Murphy". A grotesque remark on the day we saw Ashlings parther make a statement outside the courthouse. Yeah I'd say it 'resonated' with them to.

My takeaway from this murder and the Sligo murders is the extent to which NGO's have full control in shaping the public narrative as they wish, as they have our state brodcaster and media outlets completely under their spell. The way out state broadcaster defer to them in paticular is shocking. Actaully I think it's a scandal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement