Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

George Hook said what any concerned father would say to his daughter within the confines of their own home. Unfortunately he said it on the radio with reference to the case of a young woman who had been assaulted. Many people viewed his comments as victim blaming and this made his position untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was just going to say that, what I have told my daughter would get me "cancelled" if the worst types picked up on it. When it comes to the safety of my family you cant profile enough depending on the circumstances.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Well unless we leave the EU he has the same right to be in any country in Europe as me or you. Plenty of Irish banged up in European countries, Jaysus Spain is full of Irish drug dealers. Why people are trying to turn this horrendous crime into a migrant issue is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Could the likes of this lad not be sent back to serve his sentence in his home country, where I’m sure the prisons aren’t as fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

George Hook referred to a specific case and put blame on a woman for her rape. In addition to this he made previous remarks that said there was implied consent when the other party was sleeping. Wanna defend that too?

https://archive.vn/XK2j0

“You go into a relationship with somebody be it marriage or be it you’re living with somebody. So now you’re sharing a bed with somebody, yes? And obviously sexual congress takes place on a regular basis because you’re living with somebody. Now is there not an implied consent, therefore that you consent to sexual congress?”

The fact we're having a discussion about putting responsibility on women when a woman got murdered on a jog, that's pretty messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭20silkcut

If I had a son or a daughter I would say the very same thing. Everybody is vulnerable walking through dodgy areas alone. Just don’t do it. We all( or most of us) have a very highly evolved and fine tuned instinct for survival and avoiding dangerous situations and there is certain times when we should listen to it and allow it to take precedence. Obviously this is not relevant to the Aisling Murphy case as it was not a dangerous environment and was a busy public amenity area in the middle of the day.

Listen to your survival instincts use your brain and be careful. It is reality that women have to use these instincts more often. But it is a sliding scale that affects men too. I have seen men get away with stupid dangerous or aggressive behaviour because they are 6ft 4 or 5 and 20 stone weight that an average size man would never get away with. That is the reality of the world we live in. There is never going to be equality of fear instinct when there are such physical disparities between people. It is baked into the creation of the earth and is true of the animal kingdom too. It is an issue that needs to be taken up with whoever made the laws of nature. Thankfully mostly mitigated by civilisation but there will always be moments and situations where those basic laws will apply unless we give up our freedoms entirely.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But what George hook says is entirely reasonable

What George Hook said......

But modern day social activity means that she goes back with him. Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her. Should she be raped? Course she shouldn’t. Is she entitled to say no? Absolutely. Is the guy who came in a scumbag? Certainly. Should he go to jail? Of Course. All of those things,” he said.

But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?”

Reasonable.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That isn't strictly true, there is a carrot which I assume his legal team explained to him.

Mandatory life in Ireland literally means that, the sentence hangs over you until you die. Whether you plead guilt to murder or are found guilty of murder.

In Ireland though a life sentence is rarely served entirely incarcerated. The average is approximately 20 years.

A parole board would be more likely to make a recommendation to the Minister to have someone released after X years, if that person who committed the murder owned it immediately, engaged with services in prison, understood his offending, etc, etc.

This vile creature didn't plead guilty because not only has he no regard for human life including his own, he didn't care if he got caught, if he did he would have legged it when the 2 women approached him.

The trial and publicity from all this was all baked in to his sick scheme.

If he lasts a year without being found dead in his cell I'll be surprised.

And then there's his other comments on implied consent if a woman is sleeping....

Until 1990 that opinion was backed up by the laws of this country if they were married.

But it's the blasted immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭billyhead

He'll probably be out earlier if that was done.

I had not seen the entire quote. I just saw “George hook telling his daughters be careful”

I don’t agree with George hooks words you quoted. That is not reasonable.

Have updated my opinion now to reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Imagine we've had to fund this waster....and he took the life of a beautiful girl who contributed greatly to Ireland and its culture through music and her teaching....how far has Ireland fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You're talking about a different topic to the one I mentioned, and I would not agree with the statements he made regarding the case you mentioned. Far from it.

And as far as I am aware, nobody is putting any responsibility on Ms Murphy. Far, far from it. I was merely stating that we all need to be careful. We all need to be on our watch. Any nutcase with a knife can end a life very swiftly. I've had an extended family member get stabbed a few years back, and he is sporty, tall, gym addicted and so pretty strong, and looks after himself. He was on a night out, an argument broke out, and he got stabbed. It could very well have gone so much worse, but thankfully he survived. Never blamed him.

I know of a double murder of two individuals who were killed by someone they were friendly with. But for whatever bizarre reason, he took umbrage with them. By all accounts, they did everything to help him as he seemed 'out of sorts' before the murders. Nobody blamed them. They were both male. Shot and killed in their home.

We've seen teenagers, relatively recently, get into arguments over things like a bicycle then murder their friend. Nobody ever said 'why didn't he just give him the bike'? I'd never, ever blame the victim. Never. The blame always rests on the person who hurt the individual.

I was told as much as a kid. There was always that fear that some freakazoid would try and attack you. So if you were in some area you didn't know, or it was late at night, you constantly looked over your shoulder. I've friends (male) who got harassed on nights out. Some got followed back to where they live and had to call the guards because people turned up being like 'We're here for the party', and there was no party.

As I mentioned with the double murder- until their killer was found, everyone I knew, myself included, was looking over our shoulders because of that fear 'I might be next'.

It's the way I operate. Never safe until I get home, and then I set the alarm in the house.

You may bet that most parents have spoken to their children as George Hook did on that programme. But most people are terrified of being considered "unwoke". Of course this bears no reference whatsoever to Aisling's case, engaged as she was in an apparently no-risk activity.But when young people are going out at night parents generally are treading a fine line between the urge to protect them and the need to display some trust in their judgement. George was just being honest.

I live in a rural area in an old farm house. We have been burgled twice in the past 10 years. I know what the ‘fear’ is like and there are many particularly elderly people in similar circumstances petrified to within an inch of their life every night of what may come through the door. Unfortunately ‘ fear’ is an emotion that can not be entirely eradicated and is absolutely necessary for survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don’t like Hook at all, but he was spot on with his points that saw him cancelled. His delivery was an issue. People far too quick to label folks as victim blaming.

Post edited by walshb on

He was on a rant, the type of reaction many, many fathers display when their daughters come down the stairs scantily clad for a night out. It was as if he forgot he was not at home but on the radio. He was bound to be cancelled.

There's a large large difference between "you're not going out in that" and "if you have consensual sex with someone don't be surprised if someone else comes into the room and rapes you"

• Advertisement

Literal victim blaming

But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?”

No blame at all to that poor girl that was murdered by Puska. Using the word blame is the problem. Education and constantly making women aware of dangers is something that should never stop. There will always be men who kill and rape.

This thread has properly descended into some pretty horrible discussions...

Thoroughly agree. Daddy is not saying that! But in his head he is constructing all manner of catastrophes. I am trying to recall George Hook's precise words. Did he actually say that as you have quoted? I remember hearing the comments as he made them and thinking "he'll be in trouble here". But I also remember thinking (with empathy) even before George's comments that the young woman had placed herself at considerable risk. No judgement on my part. Just a gut reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sometimes victim blaming is useful to point out bad thinking, there was a case in the US recently, where an antifa type activist all the defund the police cliches etc. was murdered on camera swanning around a poor area with his girlfried just short of wearing a top hat and walking with cane at ~3AM in the morning. His woke ideas disabled basic safety logic circuits, cos that would be racist I assume, not a mind reader though

In this case I dont think victim blaming describes the situation, jogging in the day time is a perfectly reasonable activity and there will probably not be a case like this in Ireland for many years, far more joggers will be killed from not having enough fear of traffic

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Posted earlier in the thread, he explicitly blames a victim. And he's previously claimed it's not rape if they're a sleeping partner.....

""But modern day social activity means that she goes back with him. Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her. Should she be raped? Course she shouldn’t. Is she entitled to say no? Absolutely. Is the guy who came in a scumbag? Certainly. Should he go to jail? Of Course. All of those things,” he said.

But is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?”"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

the young woman had placed herself at considerable risk

Jesus. You make it sound like she decided to service her own gas boiler.

She had consensual sex with someone of her own choosing, she alleged his friend came in then and raped her.

It's worth noting that defendant was found not guilty.

Hooks comments were not only victim blaming but there were casting moral judgement. 'The Slut - what did she expect' - effectively.

I'm not altogether sure George was cancelled, he was becoming increasingly "old man shouts at cloud" and his listenership figures suffered accordingly, he was giving a slot at the weekend which also died a death.

His own family thought he was dickhéad over it.

What any of that has got to do with a jogger being brutally murdered in the middle of the day I have no idea.

Legal eagles maybe advise.. Puska appealing.. what if NO defender takes on his appeal? What happens? Yes, he could take it on?

His delivery and wording was the issue.. he has always been sloppy…

nobody should be criticised for calling for women to be ultra careful, responsible and aware when in certain situations. To me that is care and concern, and not at all blaming victims..women themselves promote this.. society promotes this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's not black and white.

It's important for everyone to take certain precautions and be risk aware.

Women unfortunately also need to take precautions but it's not their fault if they encounter a predator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement