Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland data breach

Options
  • 09-11-2023 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

What annoys me about this story is Electric Ireland (EI) telling its customers to basically f**k off and sort out the problem themselves.

When a hack like this happens in the US, the company pays for at least one year of credit monitoring and identitity theft on behalf of their customers whose data they mishandled.

"Electric Ireland have been told they may have to cancel the debit and credit cards they used to pay their energy bills. Those who pay Electric Ireland using bank accounts have been told to go back two years to check if their bank accounts have been hacked. Customers affected by the breach have been told to...watch out for any suspicious activity on their accounts."

"Customers were told that their financial information may have been compromised. And other personal details including their name and address, their email, phone number, date of birth and bank account details (IBAN) may also have ended up in the wrong hands."

"Those impacted were told...to “cancel the credit/debit card(s) that was used to make payments to Electric Ireland”. They were also told to “review your relevant bank account and credit card statements since October 2021, to identify if there is any suspicious activity which may indicate that your account has been compromised and subject to fraud”.

So EI just washes its hands and says, "Oh well, youse better keep on eye on those bank accounts. Lets hope no one takes out a massive loan in your name, using your details, and you end up with a huge debt burden through absolutely no fault of your own! Or wake up one day to find your bank account completely drained. Ok, nothing more we can do, sleep tight!"

Absolutely unbelievable they can get away with this.

Post edited by justmehere on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

My last Electric Ireland bill was five times the usual, because they entered the meter readings incorrectly. Definitely felt like my bank account was being scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,702 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When a hack like this happens in the US, the company pays for at least one year of credit monitoring and identitity theft on behalf of their customers whose data they mishandled.

That's because in the US if someone gets hold of your social security number your life is basically over.

Pretty stupid though telling people to cancel a debit card if they're paying by direct debit (which surely most are as there's a discount), it won't help one bit.

EI can't exactly go trawling through the account details to see if dodgy payments were made. Only the account holder can do that.

The way RTE reported this on the 9 o'clock news was pretty sensationalist and irresponsble, a lot of elderly etc. will be freaked out over nothing. Anyone who needs to be contacted about this already has been (according to EI)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

I haven’t received any letter this week stating that my account had been compromised but last week (for the first time ever) my direct debit was apparently rejected & I received a letter from EI saying it was my fault with insufficient funds. I called to my branch that day & they confirmed that there had been sufficient funds in my account when EI had tried to put the did through. I then rang EI to explain what had happened. Once I had outlined my situation to the customer service guy the line went dead. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They can't

GDPR means they can get fined.

Just need to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

They didn't tell people who paid by direct debit to cancel their credit/debit cards. The instruction to cancel cards applied to those who paid by credit/debit card. Those who paid by DD were told to check their bank statements for unusal transactions going back two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,702 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The way RTE worded it was very unclear and misleading.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

They don't have to - just offer the monitoring service to the affected account holders which they've already identified (allegedly), rather than washing their hands and telling their customers to look after the problem themselves.

Also, no mention of it on the Data Commission website? Do they not have to report this, even if it was via a third-party?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It wasn't a hack. Someone working for a "3rd party company" accessed them

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I'm sure the difference will matter when you get a call from your bank saying your bank account has been emptied 🙄

Advertisement