Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Small Petrol Soft roader advice

• 09-11-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for some advice on best value small SUV (Soft Roader) for elderly.

My parents in their 70s currently have a 2012 Passat 1.6 diesel and looking to change it. They only do 5k kms a year and a diesel isn’t suitable. They are having issues with DPF regularly I’d imagine due to lack of driving decent distances.

im thinking they would be best to get a small petrol soft roader around 2018 to 2021. Thinking of Suzuki Vitara 1.4, Honda CRV 1.5, 1.2 Nissan Qashqai, Mazda similar Kia sportage etc

Can someone advise of the best option in this sector or any advice would be great. Other solutions etc

Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris Cross if they don’t need anything particularly big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP What's the budget? Are they looking to buy new or second hand.

Suzuki is a good brand and the Vitara is a good car or is they wanted something a bit bigger the S-Cross maybe.

If new then the Toyota C-HR. They could get a great deal on the current one or wait till the new one is out and get one of them.

If second hand again they could get a nice C-HR or a Nissan Juke.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

They would spend 23-24k 2018-2021 year would be ideal.

Id like to suggest something that won’t give them hassle. Even if it wasn’t the most economical in class.

Not gone on the 1.0 turbo petrols as relatively new technology. Ideally an old fashioned 1.4-1.6 petrol engine but harder to get now in newer years. I think the Suzuki has a 1.4-1.6 petrol that is still straightforward (non turbo)

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

suzuki should be reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Toyota C-HR hybrid perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Wtf is a soft roader? A small SUV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Looks a little like an off roader but would come undone on damp grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Only reason I’d say Yaris cross over CHR is rear visibility on the CHR is poor

I know if someone getting rid of a C-HR As getting into was difficult

They bought corolla cross but that’s too new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

I'd second a Yaris Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We've an 04 Corolla 1.4 for 16 years now, I had to replace the flasher unit but that's it. Thing runs on air. Unfortunately 'normal' cars are no longer in fashion. To us it's worth multiples of its insurance value.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yeah, but many on boards only want us driving EVs.

Long Live the the ice.

Advertisement