Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avatar: The Last Airbender live Action Series (Netflix)

Options
  • 10-11-2023 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

Do we need one? No.

Are we getting one? Yes

Is the original team involved? Not any more.

Should that cause you to worry? Yes

Well, at least the casting this time looks right. I normally have no problem gender-changing/race-changing of a charactr if it does impact the story but it was SO egregious in the movie that is was shocking. (And it's a conversation for another thread).

I don't want this but at least FROM THE TRAILER it looks like they are hitting the right beats. The casting looks good. We have the Kyoshi warriors. We have Ba Sing Se (Was it even in the movie? Scar tissue has thankfully blurred my memory). The displays of the bending looks nice and dynamic.

So... Well, I know trailers can be extremely deceptive and careful editing can totally misrepresent something. I don't want it but I don't HATE it. I will at least LOOK at the first episode

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the original lads left for their own studio at Nickelodeon. The trailer makes it look great providing they can get the seasons out quickly enough. Otherwise it'll be a bit of a stranger things situation where characters are much older than they should be.

The original is one of the greatest things ever produced on television.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full trailer

Drops February 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Again: don't need it but the casting is spot on. Trailers can be deceptive but it is surprising how much seems to be there. I mean, apart from the main cast you have Bumi, Jet, Jun(e?) etc and they are remarkably like their counterparts.

And at least they can pronounce the names...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I've only watched the first episode so far but it's a pretty good adaptation. The only thing I didn't like was they did Gyatso dirty with

not having him kill dozens of Fire Nation soldiers during his last stand as was implied in the animated series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Just about finished it now, it's fine as an adaptation. Some events are jumbled and a couple of extra things are added including bringing a few characters forward, for example there's a decent amount of Ozai and Azula.

II'd be curious to see what a first time watcher would think.

One bad point is there's not as good as sense of time passing as in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think it lost all subtlety really. The main 3 were all sort of Mary Sue characters who didn't really have the flaws to deal with as they did in the animated show. They gave all the time to Ozai and Azula that could have been spent elsewhere and kept them as the unseen threat.

The world was beautiful and it was mostly well cast but characters were weak as alluded to above and everything a bit rushed which made it shallow. It started well and ended well but the middle was a jumbled mess.

Not sure who it was aimed at because I don't see people who never watched being taken in by it and the people who did watch would probably be put out a bit by the changes to characters. Not overly kid friendly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I watched this and quite enjoyed it. I was quite taken aback at the number of people burnt alive in the first episode - definitely not for the same age group as the first one. But in fairness, I thought it looked great, I really liked the castings. As long as you're not expecting anything groundbreaking it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m enjoying this show. They’ve done a good job of condensing the story and combining multiple episodes of the original into one without losing anything. And introducing the Firelord and Azula & friends earlier in the story is also a good idea.

Kind of crazy how the actors do look a lot like their animated counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think it's done really well. It looks fantastic. It'll never live up to the cartoon of course but it's miles ahead of Shaylaman's attempt.

Advertisement