Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Caution and Summons

Options
  • 11-11-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8 Shane92Z

Hi,

I received a Garda Caution last year for a minor offence and was told that was the end of it. Two weeks ago I received a summons from the Garda for the same offence. Do you know is this normal or why this would have happened and what I can do?

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, they can legally lie to your face and then input charges when they get back to the station to meet their quotas.

In my case I had no choice but to go to court, garda never showed up, that was the end of it. You may want legal advice and a local solicitor to represent you on the day as a driving offence on your record may make getting insurance very difficult. Gather whatever evidence you can such as proof of insurance, dash cam, witnesses, and write down the sequence of events and any excuses that might help. Attending in person, taking a day off work, getting a solicitor to talk for you can all help reduce severity of penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shane92Z

Firstly thanks for your reply. I went down to the station and signed the Adult Caution form and they said that was the end of it. The Garda rang me that morning to say to go down and just get the Adult Caution but now two and a half years after the offence I got the summons. Do you know is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

First post said “last year”.

this post says 2.5 years.

get your lies straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shane92Z

I said I received the caution last year but the offence was 2.5 years ago

• Yeah they can. Often it’s not down to the individual garda either it would have been the stations Sargent or inspector who filed charges.

go to court, explain the situation it will prob end up struck out. Thats if the Garda even shows up themselves if they don’t case is struck out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement