Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100km daily with hybrid?

• 11-11-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Have been looking for something reliable and low mileage. Would toyotas 1.8 hybrid be a good reliable choice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You're not giving us enough to work with. What is your budget? Apart from your 100km daily drive (commute?) what other driving do you do? What size does the car need to be, is is just for one person or is it a family car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Not a family car, any thing bigger than a fiesta, with an armrest, some level of comfort I mean but not looking for luxury (or power). The commute is 90% of my driving, most of it motorway. Other 10% is would just to and from town.

Wondering would the toyota 1.8 hybrid be a good choice for a 50km each way commute. Current car is high milage diesel, I'm tired of the stress of breaking down and repair so want move up to as new and reliable as possible, most signs point toward toyota.

Budget sub 25k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no reason it wouldn’t be reliable. If its a motorway commute then theres probably no need for a hybrid tho.

That's a perfect use case for a fully electric car, provided you have a home with your own private parking / driveway or charging in work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

A Toyota 1.8 hybrid will do what you're looking for with ease.

My commute (before I retired) was 60 kms each way, and 90% of it was on the M11. The other 10% was split at either end of the M-Way journey.

Go for it. You'll get Toyotas reliability, reasonable service costs, and probably average well over 60mpg as well.

Take a few for a test drive, with your budget you'll definitely pick up a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Thanks folks, that's reassuring. Not in position for full ev, not specifically looking for hybrid either but that's what Toyota are offering, I'm looking to buy low milage as possible and hopefully trade again in few years time rather than spend the money on maintenence as previously.

@Old Perry - "Not in position for full ev"

Care to share why? Maybe you live in an apartment or something like that? Do you just want a Toyota, any Toyota just because you like them? Or do you have an open mind for other cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Reading the OP, I was going to suggest an original Hyundai Ioniq 28kwh EV, the range is about 200kms (even with slightly reduced winter range which is the case for any EV, it would still leave lots for a daily 100km commute and if overnight charging possible, could avail of cheap rates, 4 times cheaper than typical day rates), so suitable for range needed with plenty left over and at the lowest possible price. Original Ioniq supposed to be reliable and I think as well kitted out as the 38kwh version, which from driving myself, I can say there is a massive saving over ICE vehicle, even in a comparison to a Toyota Auris Hybrid which someone I know has, where they only get marginally better than some petrol car efficiency imo.

I will say, I think the Auris (mk2) is a nice comfortable solid car which I've driven a bit, and there are estate versions available secondhand also, but they seem to be more expensive than the Ioniqs (EVs, HEV & PHEV), that's just from a quick look on carzone.

I'm not sure what the petrol fuel economy of the hybrid model ioniqs are, I think they are fairly good, but the battery only range is about 50km, so half the commute would definitely be on petrol only, where an EV can go all the way and back and loads left over. If not considering a full EV, Id consider a plug in hybrid as it opens the door to home charging, but again I think the benefits are only partial.

Imo, a solely hybrid isn't worth it, where I think the Toyota Hybrids are pricey (Hyundai hybrids seem to be cheaper), and a PHEV is only worth it if it can be charged at the destination to avail of the full benefit. I considered a PHEV SUV myself, but only for boot space and there wasn't an equivalent sized EV, but 90%+ of my journeys didnt require one so I went for a 38kwh Ioniq, if there were original Kia e-Niros I would have gone for one of those but the prices were higher and very few were available late last year and the newer version wasn't out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

As regards reliability OP, Toyota hybrids are very reliable cars, the technology they use has been tested for years, my OH bought an Auris 3 years ago with 110000 kms and it now has 240000 kms and has been faultless, only needing routine servicing.

Advertisement