Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing old £ Sterling notes for new...?

• 11-11-2023 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Hope this is a relevant forum.

I have a sum of money in old £ Sterling notes. They are all £20 notes.

Can I exchange them anywhere in Dublin for the current £20 notes?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. If this is not the correct forum, please move. Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No one in Ireland will do this afaik. If you are living in the UK its not too hard as you can use old notes to open a UK post office account and then withdraw your money but I think that needs a UK address? Some UK banks will do the same.

I think you are stuck with getting a sterling cheque for them from the Bank of England https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/exchanging-old-banknotes . Obviously issue is that you then need to pay in a sterling cheque.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

You could try asking at your own bank branch if they do foreign exchange. They should be able to exchange them easily enough. Failing that pop into any UK bank branch the next time you're there.

• They might lodge them and convert them to euro but if you wanted to do a swap of notes you’d need to go to a bank in the UK, and even then you might not be facilitated if you don’t have an account.

They are no longer legal tender so, you might even need to exchange them at the Bank of England counter.

Some UK banks will accept old notes to deposit into accounts, others may be less helpful and the Post Office limits it to £300 per year! Northern Irish banks might be more helpful as they’re used to dealing with a lot of variations of bank notes.

Also be aware that a large volume of cash with unexplained sources can be seized (pending an explanation) by customs at UK airports or by Irish customs, the rules are similar.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

(Old Euro notes from the first series are legal tender btw and haven’t expired)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I raised a similar query on the BOI forum a while back and this was the reply.

I imagine it is similar for other banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭McSween

The Post Office shops will do this if you are over there. I did it last december in Ryman Post office on Regent Street near Piccadilly Circus. All you meed to provide is an UK postcode that is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Just back from Glasgow and changed some notes in a Post Office there. Easy peasy. Once I told the guy at the counter I was visiting from abroad and showed my passport there was no issue.

Advertisement