Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Debi : Mon 13th Nov 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Eye of the storm is over the west at the moment.

Seriously taking off now in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Wind has eased off Galway City. Don't remember it ever being as bad as already mentioned by others. I see the wind woke a few trolls up too ....or is it just that they never sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Frightening winds now in Longford, not too far from Edgeworthstown. Very concerned for the roof. Power went out a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In general, weather models did not develop this low until about 24-36 hours ago, so there was no indication of strong wind potential in Ireland until a few hours before this thread began.

The reports for Athenry are on the met.ie website and update around 15 min after each hour.

Some of the inland weather stations will not be exposed to highest wind gusts that could occur in open country nearby so if we read about "only 80 or 90 km/hr gusts" at various inland places, that is expected and will be associated with wind damage in vicinity, locations are not comparable to Shannon for example in terms of reflecting regional wind strength. Casement is probably better exposed and will give a better idea of actual conditions. Predicting peak gusts at Casement around 0700 and 0800 reports, probably W 45 knots gusting to 65 or similar. ... mullingar would likely be reporting closer to 40 g 55 in same wind field (not as well exposed).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I got woken up by rain and debris hitting the window about 15 minutes ago. It was noisy and wild.

I think ( hope ) it's passing now.

East Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

I'm in Delvin Westmeath, not a million miles away from ye and yeah, some of them gusts are dreadful!

Still have power and broadband for now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Woke me up here in Lucan with the rain against the window and the constant gush sound from the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Unfortunately Met Éireann forgot to check their inbox for the timetable the rapidly developing storm sent out and instead had to rely of observations and model predictions and still got the arrival within about an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Very quiet now just east of Galway city. I guess it's silly to think we're done??

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Awake since 4.20 with the wind. Power just gone now in Ballinasloe

• Advertisement

Plane landing at Dublin airport from Doha (Qatar Airlines). A nervous end to their flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very stormy at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Just hit like a tonne of bricks in north Dublin city 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Not at all. Worst has passed, what we're hearing now is a standard windy night but compared to 90 minutes ago it sounds dead still out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hold My Hand

My first thought when I woke to this storm was I better put the kettle on. Then someone with that username posts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My weather station vane broke. Here in South Longford. Historical data broken so I don't know what was recorded. Strongest gusts now here anyway. Had a flash of lightning. Lights flickering a bit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

Looking at the map thinking, the rain hasn't even started here for me in Ros, just about to start I think

Some intermittent very strong gusts in the last half hour, veering in direction, WNW to SSW

One woke the dog, there was a whistle with it that sounded like a cat wailing, she was not impressed at the idea of a cat getting in somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm a deep sleeper but Debi woke me up with consummate ease. That jet engine humming of the wind reminds me of Ophelia and my south west facing house getting the brunt of those gusts right in the face. She's a tasty one for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Not far from Ashbourne. It's kicked off up here in the last 30 mins. Not sure that its worse than other storms at the moment but sounds like she's running an hour behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Almighty flash here in Limerick City North a while ago and all the power went. It seems to be far wilder now than it was at 5am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Getting very rough in Mullingar now. Lying in bed hoping it will die down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭con747

It's swirling around the midlands right now, getting heavy here now .

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This is definitely worse than Ophelia which was a windy day in comparison. The country was shut down for two days to deal with Ophelia and the clear up of the damage caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It didn't seem to hit as strong where I am in Kerry. I think it went from it's original Red warning to Orange overnight. Nothing to be sniffed at as is, still grateful that a warning was given. Knew I wouldn't sleep so stayed up a bit late to keep an eye on the weather.

Winds are still strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

It’s roaring in Mullingar- haven’t had this strength in a storm here for a long long time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Woke up at 0530 an was wind was pretty innocuous in Greystones. Picking up now. Gusting 31 kts atm. Gust of 47 kts around 4am high so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VanBer

Between Ballinasloe and Athlone still frightening, never slept a wink with it, hopefully the worst of it is over, never heard anything like it. Still have electricity thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Couple of puffs of wind in SoCoDu. And we’re supposed to be in the middle of a red warning !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The wind had died now, but not before a tree fell and blocked the road. It was lucky this was overnight given how busy the road is during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Debi has just arrived in D24

Advertisement