Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turnips and more turnips!

Options
  • 13-11-2023 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

This year was great for growing turnips and carrots. I've used up most of my carrots, but have tons of turnips left. I'm tired of stew or simply boiling them. Any great recipes that showcase the turnip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Turnip gratin.

Mashed turnip.

Turnip dauphinoise.

Turnip in the bin.

Turnip in place of carbs in curry.

Honestly just replace potato with turnip in your favourite recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A restaurant I worked in years ago did a really nice gratin. There was quite a lot of butter in it!

Grated turnip (food processor) was cooked for a few minutes in butter over a medium heat. Season well.

Meanwhile, combine white bread crumbs with more melted butter.

Put a thin layer of the turnip in an oven tray. Drizzle a little cream over it (not much). Put a thin layer of the buttered breadcrumbs on top.

Cook in a hot oven until breadcrumbs are nicely browned - 10 to 15 minutes.

Problem is, I guess, that a turnip goes a long way like this.

I also like to cube turnip and cook it gently in butter then add some miso. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Turnip in the Bin 😂

Chickens love turnips.

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Turnip wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Too late now but I would have been rationing the carrots. Mashed turnip never really did it for me but it's much more pleasant for me when combined with even a carrot or two.

Going to try turnip dauphinoise as suggested above but I think I already regret not doing it with potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 fionamcc

I never thought to substitute turnips wherever I use potatoes. Seems like a sin? Might have to go to confession? But the dauphinoise does sound yummy. Add a little ham or bacon to cut the tang of the turnips. My husband suggested latkes but I was more than a bit resistant. I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I really like turnips, but they are so difficult to peel it makes me never get them. Shame as they are so yummy, especially mashed with butter and black pepper sprinkled over them. Why are there no soft turnips??

Found a recipe for it. Going to give it a go. I'll check back in 6 mos and let you know how it came out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Roast the sht out of them, unreal. Bitta paprika, garlic, butter.

Soup does be good (again, roast them).

MAshed with potato and loads of butter, pepper and mashed in crumbly black pudding...

My OH reckons turnip is pig food, but he thinks cauliflower is acceptable food so *shrug*

I assume we're all talking about swedes here and not the little white turnips. Non Irish people can never understand why we call swedes turnips!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't peel it.

Take the skin off with a knife, like you would a butternut squash. Cut it in half, put the flat side down and go round the outside slicing down to take off strips of skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ugh, sorry OP I can't stand them. Reminds me of poor old Tess of the d'Urbervilles slaving in the turnip field in the freezing cold.

But you have some good ideas above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alquaa

We recently made turnip gnocchi, it’s a bit labour intensive for the return but was quite nice. We froze the rest of the batch and it made a quick lunch when needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Just boiled and mashed turnip for me with butter, salt and white pepper. I also add diced turnip to any veg soup I make. Yes I'm referring to the majestic swede. I haven't seen the small white turnips for years, they used to be in soup packs but never see those now, just carrot/parsnip packs. Turnips (swedes) are cheap, tasty and fill your tum at a cheap price, what's not to love?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Turnip is absolutely essential to a lamb casserole.

This is my opinion and is not necessarily shared by the rest of the family. Sometimes I don't happen to have turnip when I am cooking lamb so we are all suited at different times.

Swede, which is what I am assuming we are talking about, is also called rutabaga and looks suitably exotic in commercial pickles (especially Branston Pickle), so much more sophisticated than turnip!

The yellow fleshed ones are swedes in the north of England and Scotland, everywhere else, Ireland and the south of England they are called turnips. Turnips are the white fleshed small ones, swedes are actually Swedish Turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have also managed to microwave turnip (swede), needs tweaking though as not all of the turnip (swede) was cooked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 agent_88

If there was left over mashed turnips my mother used to fry them up with a chopped onion & rashers, delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Samson1

Absolutely. What our shops sell as "turnips" are really 'Swedes'. Most turnips never grow bigger than a tennis ball. This is a swede thread, I take it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Samson1

Just as an aside, I have tried freezing Swedes (turnips) cubed, and they do not freeze well. When used, the frozen swedes are hard and tough. It doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Those little white things aren't turnips, I don't know what they are. :)

I think it's the water content. They get stringy and mushy. I did make the scalloped version with bacon. It was really good! Even my OH ate it. The neighbors still are avoiding me, though. Between the surreptitious drop offs of turnips and zucchini, I've now become the town pariah. Darn ring cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Try cubing them and steaming. They are deliciously sweet done that way

Boil with some bacon, ideally home cured bacon but any will do Then mash Delicious and you also can try the cooking water save some when you strain the pot It’s a gorgeous soup in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can't remember the last time I had or even saw a turnip turnip.

But on reflection, talk of gratin or dauphinois must be in terms of turnip turnips. You would need a meat slicer to get a swede turnip cut that thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

No you’d be fine with a food processor or mandolin. If you were being confident with your knife skills you could do it but it’s really too tough to be accurate so I’d go down the kitchen gadget route really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I used to grow 4-5 acres of Turnips/Swedes for winter fodder for sheep, snagging them was a great way to warm yourself on a cold day 😁, thankfully a local lad bought a harvester and that reduced the hardship.

Turnips, mashed with butter, cream and pepper, and served with a good gravy, roast spuds and meat, proper winter food

The yellow fleshed ones are swedes in the north of England and Scotland, everywhere else, Ireland and the south of England they are called turnips. Turnips are the white fleshed small ones, swedes are actually Swedish Turnips.

You've gotten this backwards.

Northern England, Scotland and Ireland call swedes turnips.

The rest of England (apart from Cornwall) call them swedes.

That are white turnips.

Now you know what they are called.

Yes, you are right, there is genuine confusion here as I grew up in South Yorkshire and there was some sort of transition going on even then, then I moved south and got even more confused. I think my mother had it right in calling them swedes but everyone else called them turnips, I've never been entirely sure of them so I don't know why I pontificated on the subject 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The seed supplier's are even confused 🤔 with their description

Advertisement