Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the attraction of the "Greatest League in the world"

• 13-11-2023 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to see peoples take on the huge uptake in interest in our domestic league. With the attendance thread showing approximately 900,000 attending senior football games within this current season. The number of clubs that have attracted outside business interests, such as Treaty and Drogheda recently. What has suddenly created this new popularity of wanting to know or learn about the domestic league?

It's definitely not the FAI promoting the game as can be seen with their issue of 40% female quota in the associations general assembly!

The greatest change I have seen is the amount of younger people attending games especially the teenage youth. As has been heard at many grounds around the country "the league is cool" now! It's the place to be and be seen on a Friday night! This is the greatest opportunity for the league and clubs because if the youth of our day want to be involved then it will create an interest for the future.

How much has social media created this interest and popularity?

All clubs have really availed of social media to advance and expand their local interest.

How further can we extend this interest and improve our domestic league and game in our country!

😊

Post edited by artanevilla on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The world cup with its associated media coverage has always generated more interest in the game. Holding the competition every 1 or 2 years would be a massive boost but it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭jonnreeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We had this exact conversation yday in the pub before the game.

To me, it seems like the clubs have done a fantastic job at a community level of getting locals to buy into it, showcase the buzz of a matchday and create a real positive family atmosphere that people will want to be a part of. This then snowballs with more and more people being interested in being a part of the club and having a good experience, similar to what the GAA and local clubs have done so well over the years to create that community. The addition of pyro and stadium displays at game (albeit controversial) makes games look really cool and something only really seen on the continent. Gives the football fanbase something different over the games in England.

Tickets for games are priced well as well. I am a daytripper to Manchester 5-10 times a season but it's only getting more and more expensive. Flights, match tickets, other transport can easily tot up to be €300. Yesterday cost me €30 on train and match tickets as does other Friday nights for a great experience. A Friday night is similar for a good night out and it seems young lads rather go to games, few pints than going out in town.

Ireland games are a joke these days too, cost me €200 for 2 tickets to see us play Gibraltar and Netherlands during the year. I love to go but it's not worth that money. Similarly, that money would cover approx 6 games for 2 people in a LOI game. The experience is great and more affordable for families.

Football in general has lost its way a bit for some. VAR, massive transfer fees/salaries means we're probably more disconnected than ever from football at a really premium level. Same with football ownership, sportswashing, etc would turn a lot of people off or have them look elsewhere for something that fits their morals.

I just hope there will be more funding available to improve the infrastructure where clubs can benefit more from gate revenue, even allow other ventures like gigs, etc to take place so more money for clubs. Tickets are hard to get for some games which is a nice positive as it's the scarcity effect although there is a fine line as don't want to make it impossible to get tickets either. It's a great time for Irish football, in spite of the FAI really. Virgin TV coming in this year and broadcasting more games has been a big plus, more availability for casual football fans to buy into it. Just hope it kicks on even more and realises it's true potential. For a successful national team, we really need a successful national league at a European level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I think the main thing that turns people off is the standard of football which is improving. The general public feel the players of LOI teams are limited in technical aspects of the game and a lot of it is hoof ball. Also the saturation of coverage of the premiership still influences many children's following with global stars playing in the PL. You have an unknown cohort of players in the LOI. I am a Pat's fan and the turnout yesterday and atmosphere was brilliant. Hopefully it will persuade more people to follow the domestic game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great to see. Am I right in saying there was much larger support for domestic soccer in Ireland in the 1950’s and 1960’s? So soccer despite always being popular lost its way in Ireland for decades. The national team thing with Jack Charlton was just a team of good players and a basic organised structure put on them by an experienced but not an especially talented manager. There was nothing else to it and no real connection with the domestic game.

Despite the FAI the grassroots of the game has always been strong and the increased participation along with girls and women’s soccer has helped to create a groundswell of support. There’s no reason why domestic soccer in Ireland couldn’t rival what they have in Denmark or Scotland or other countries with similar populations. It seems to be an organic bottom up phenomenon. The structures at the top of the FAI organisation are still in chaos, if they could start getting that right like the way the IRFU have been doing they could build solid foundations and progress the game properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They should also go back to some Sunday soccer for big LOI games as well I think. People will go see their local team if there’s a buzz around it instead of watching stuff on TV. They need to build on this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think the standard of football is much of a factor really, I think it's just a lazy excuse used by some. It's not like every EPL game is top quality entertainment, there are plenty of absolute borefests on TV. The LOI is more than watchable, it doesn't have global superstars playing in it but the players are not plodders.

I think the biggest issue is historically the marketing was poor, and the game was hamstrung by poor management and oversight by the FAI / LOI. There was a while there when it seemed like a regular enough thing to read about an LOI club having financial trouble in the news.

Poor facilities put people off, particularly families. That is improving. I grew up going to Irish League matches every week and the state of some of the places you went to was brutal, I would never bring my kids. I would imagine the situation was similar in the LOI, but again it has really improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think it's a load of reasons, from disillusionment with the English top league, to wanting to see our national team do better, to it currently being in vogue for the kids and also the club's doing great work in their communities and embracing social media.

Long may it continue, though the standard of **** refereeing would put you off at times, I say this as a 20+ year season ticket holder, it is getting better - but we have seen upticks before only to fall away again.

I hope the government puts some proper funding into our league because the appetite for football is here, it's just offering a palatable product to get people in the door, once you've been a few times your hooked.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Damien Duff

• Advertisement

What is anyone's take on a good practical TV coverage on RTE or Virgin that would suit the league and help promote the game?

Is it a selected league game every week throughout the whole season with a highlights package of all other games. plus the First Division

The FAI Cup & European games to be covered on separate packages.

With all the social media options available now as shown with LOITV, surely something better can be offered!

Anyone with suggestions!

😗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This post is not that relevant because I am going to talk about a new club but I'll post it anyway.

The club are Kerry FC and it's the first time there has been a club in Kerry.

LOI clubs have always been too far away and to remote from the local consciousness.

Prior to this the nearest club Cork City, Cobh or Limerick, or way back in the '80s Newcastle West.

My two boys 9 and 14 have really taken to them, they and my wife, who is already a soccer fan have gone to numerous home games and one away game this year.

The attraction is that it's local, it's good value and they like watching it.

And the players are really approachable, they stay back and sign autographs after every game, the kids know all their names and all about them.

The ground is small and tidy.

The fact that Kerry FC won a single league game all year has not phased them, they just like the game day experience.

They like being close to the action.

I just hope for their sake that Kerry FC can survive, it's not easy at the bottom of Division 1.

One thing my wife noticed was that the stand had become much quieter in the latter stages of the season.

The stand had originally been a lot of season ticket holders and the numbers of season ticket holders turning up did drop off it seems.

So it will be interesting to see what the second season brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭srfc d16

Not sure if it is workable with so many Monday games in the LOI but I think the TV game should be on a Thursday if possible. Having it at the same time as the rest of the games automatically reduces your potential audience.

A round up show would be beneficial but not if it caused a black out of online highlights like the previous deal did.

I would not show any 1st division games on tv, standard of facilities, broadcast and players is not up to scratch to show on TV.

LOITV is a very good service and I would like that to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

How much has the structure of the underage leagues impacted the senior teams? The underage leagues are very competitive and theres groups of lads forming allegiances with clubs from early in life and following it through. For eg i know a few lads with Pats under 15s who now because of it, all their mates and family are pats fans, out dressed head to toe in pats gear for the cup final. These same people would have had no interest in the league until recently, this is happening with alot of the clubs and it cant help but add numbers to the gates in a multiplier effect.

The standard also seems to be improving as our young stars cant go to england so there staying and lighting up the league instead. Pats again have a huge core of irish youth internationals and with the likes of Melia potentially our next big superstar it’s helping the league shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I wouldn't start moving games to other days for TV audiences.

Friday night is football night (with the occassional exception), the start of the weekend, no work in the morning. Let's keep it that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The product is live in the flesh football, that's the whole point I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

6:30pm Sunday weekly TV match could be a good idea. Only problem is finding a TV station that will show a LoI match weekly for the entire season.

At a time that's still reasonable to be bringing young kids to heading into the school week, and won't clash with the afternoon match from England.

As others have said though, the attraction is seeing live football of a good standard for a reasonable price.

The FAI need a strategy with the government and local councils to help improve facilities nationwide though, as many are still put off by how poor the stadiums are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Friday night football is perfect imo. Less competition with the EPL or Championship of televised games, no work on a Sat morning for those who want a few pints, late enough that those with young kids can nip off for the evening, those with older kids it's a treat and an evening out - be home relatively early and less competition in general on TV for casuals.

If it ain't broke...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Friday 19:45 is perfect. I'd certainly be annoyed at any changes. I know Sligo play on Saturday as it suits them better and I think it suits the away crowd as well as you don't have to take the half day on the Friday if travelling from Dublin, you'd also get a lot of lads doing an overnighter which brings some money into the town.

That's really the only negative of the Friday night is having to take a half day to go to the likes of Derry or Cork but as a supporter of a Dublin club it's rare as most clubs are Dublin or within an hours drive at least, though next season there's four clubs outside that in the Premier with Galway, Waterford, Sligo and Derry. So that's six half days assuming they don't move the Sligo ones to Friday like they did for one this year.

I can't speak for other clubs for for Bohs it's a great way to spend a Friday night. Some great pubs around Phibsboro and bars in the ground itself. Meet a lot of new friends as well as misery loves company.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

The last line of your post.

I'd like to see something similar to Tallaght Stadium go up on the Northside of Dublin and shared with Bohs and Shels (yeah I know, neither set of fans would really like that), another one between Dundalk and Drogheda, one in Cork, one or two out west.

No matter what people might think of Rovers, it's great going to a match in Tallaght. A few of them dotted around the country and people would be more inclined to go.

• Advertisement

Planning permission for the redeveloped Dalymount went in last month so that project at least is progressing.

The problem with Tallaght is that it's in the middle of nowhere. Not much else around compared to the likes of Dalymount and Richmond Park. Nothing really in the area to keep you there so it's an in and out job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Maldron hotel across the road for a drink, big shopping centre and various restaurants 5 minutes walk away. Its hardly Ferrycarrig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The night we came to play Tobol in Tallaght, I stood for 30min at bar in Maldron waiting to be served. Just gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Fair point, been there myself. On fine nights have seen people getting cans in Lidl and sitting outside. Also been there on some big game nights and were directed to another bar that we could get drink with little or no queuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

the players aren't paid multiples of my annual salary, every week

What grounds or venues in the league offer the best facilities in or around the ground during a league game?

I'm really just talking about good pubs or places that you can get food/drink before a game.

Just as a quick reference, Turners Cross has a good number of pubs near the ground, the Beer Garden and the Corner Flag are popular while McDonald's and Lidl are very close as well. All within 5 minute walking distance.

What about other grounds/venues around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Dalymount or even Tolka park has good facilities nearby for food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Would winter football generate more attendance?

• Advertisement

No. It's miserable enough standing there without adding the cold in. Although the Carlisle Grounds at the height of July averages -20 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Ferrycarrig Park in July is as close as you can get to Winter football 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Definitely not. Would never go back to winter football.

Every season its just getting too cold in the last 2 or 3 games of the season, and you are glad the season isn't continuing over the winter.

The NIFL is also considering a move to summer football.

Plus, summer football is helping us compete better in Europe as we are mid season and fitness levels are high compared to some other nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

**** winter football in this country. The wind in Tallaght is cold enough without having to be there in December and January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Tallaght has been great for Rovers but the lack of even one decent pub in the environs plus the long journey home has curtailed or simply eliminated the pre/post-match crack for many hoops.

Advertisement