Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Issue

Options
  • 13-11-2023 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi, Apologies in advance but i wouldnt be an expert when it comes to Wifi set up etc and diagnostics / debugging.

I have an Eir 1GB on the F2000 modem. In the past few weeks, the connection has become a little unstable for my liking. When I say connection, it appears to be more with devices in the house dropping or losing the internet connection. In general things have been fine up until recently ("General" been for a few years now) and then at the weekend, we seem to have more devices losing / dropping their connections especially devices further away from the modem (and i'd like to state these same devices which are in the same locations never had issues before).

For e.g. now I am typing this message from my work laptop which is prob the furthest device away from the modem, never had any issues before and have been using this same modem since March 2019 until today and today I had to use my mobile phone as a hotspot just to get my laptop online. Oddly I have an Internet Radio beside me here which is working fine via the Eir modem!!

Do these Eir modems loose their Signal Strength after time? Or any other ideas as to what I could check?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ping the router IP and then ping externally (such as 1.1.1.1) and see what results you get. Leave both pings running for around 2 mins and post the summaries here.

Example: ping -t 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

I should also add, that it appears that all devices can see the modem and connect but its more the internet where the connectivity is an issue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If all other devices are not dropping connection then I would say the issue is probably driver or hardeware related on your laptop.

Or it may be you are connecting over a VPN for work and that is what actually is losing it's internet connection every now and again. To test this you would need to switch off the vpn and use it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

Some of the supplied modems are not the best (not familiar with eir), can have problems when there’s lots of devices. When you factor in phones, tablets, wearables, tvs , smart speakers etc you can end up with a lot of devices being managed by a cost effective modem.

Other factors can come into play like location of the modem vs the affected devices or construction of the house (bison slabs etc).

I used to have tons of issues just like you described until I bought a fairly pricey mesh system and swapped out the Vodafone supplied modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Done a factory reset of the modem last night, it managed to get things working again to an extent.

Anyway, just out of contract with Eir so switching to Vodafone, so should be a new modem here in the next few days :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Come acros same/similar some 4-5 years ago with F2000 - reboot of router every second day usually would resolve "wont connect" despite SSID readable and pass correct

Advertisement