Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing an old (2008) road bike: what would Jesus do?

Options
  • 13-11-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have Trek 1500 I bought new in 2008. I've bought and sold a couple of other roads bikes in the interim but I keep coming back to this one because it's just the best. Over the years I've replaced much of the Ultegra (6600 era) groupset but - surprisingly? - am still using the original front derailleur and shifters. I especially love the shifters: still responsive after tens of thousands of kilometres. A tolerance for less than pristine parts has allowed me to keep her running at a relatively low cost.

However...

...I'm now looking at replacing the front 52/39 chainrings (not the originals but 6600 NOS when purchased) and probably the front derailleur. AND I figure I might as well get a new cassette while I'm about it. (I already have a NOS Ultegra 10s chain.) I can buy a 10s 11-28 Ultegra 6700 cassette (though I'd be equally happy with a 105 5700) but I'm not entirely happy with my chain-ring options. I think there's a 39t 6700 out there but it looks like I'll have to go for a generic Stronglight 52t for the big ring. Cassette, two rings and postage will be about €108 (still pretty good value).

So the question is this though: is even the €108 throwing money away, especially given that these may not quite offer the smooth shifting I've been used to? Would I be better off trying to track down an end-of-stock 6800 or even R8000 groupset somewhere and trying to run the Trek for another decade? (And, again, I know I could just buy another bike entirely but if it's not entirely obvious already: I do have a slightly irrational affection for this bike and would to keep it going for as long as is feasible.)

What would a cycling Jesus (or you) do?

Comments

Advertisement