Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on lessons?

• 13-11-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on lessons please.

Decided to take up golf in ‘23 having played a little as a teen and then maybe a once a year as an adult. Joined a club and have been playing regularly all year without showing huge improvement. Got my first ever handicap in the summer of 21 but don’t play anywhere near that (got 8 points on Sunday in a 9 hole comp!).

Have the fundamentals of a swing from coaching as a teen but haven’t had a lesson since.

What advice would you have on how to approach lessons - how many, how frequent, when (is it a waste of time in the “off” season, should I wait till spring etc.

I know all the advice is best score improvement is around the greens but I find my drive determines if I’m in a hole or not - as long as it’s playable off the tee I can still enjoy it.

Not having had a lesson in 3 or four decades any advice gratefully received, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd argue the case that now, the start of off-season is maybe the best time to kick off a set of lessons.

Means you have the whole winter season to bed in the changes and be comfortable with them by the time the 2024 qualifying season kicks off.

Really it's going to be down to the individual, but making a plan with your pro will be the best way to move forwards.

I'll be going in for a winter tune up shortly myself so I can start the work towards next year

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Watch the pro golfers'posture - keep your arse behind your heels!

No teacher ever mentioned this to me.

Get your pro to sort your grip, play twice a week in winter, 3 rounds a week in summer (April -Sept), make a full turn and you'll be 6 in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Be honest with whoever gives you lessons how much time you will be practicing.

The type of lesson can vary a lot depending if you can play once a fortnight and practice once a month compared to playing twice weekly with two days of practice. Neither one is a problem but the lesson will have to be built around the time you have to dedicate golf. Improvements will obviously come at a slower pace the less time you can dedicate to practice and playing but it will be a lot of bad golf if the pro thinks you have 2hrs of practice a week when it’s more like an hour a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Off season is a good time to get lessons imho.

Say a lesson every 2/3 weeks from January would be good, with at least 1 or 2 range sessions in between to bed in whatever changes you are trying to incorporate. 4-5 lessons should do you fine. Take notes & refer to these yourself before rounds during the season.

Also, have a few clubs & maybe a few perforated practice balls hanging around your back garden for full swing practice swings, and also a bit of chipping. That would set you up very nicely for a good start to your season in the spring.

Golf is a continuous improvement sport & activity so commit yourself to learning & improving as you go. Good luck!!

Advertisement