Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby Pacific 2024

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so heading into the final regular round the QFs look interesting.

while the crusaders have been pretty dog sh!te this year, they can still cause damage should they get to the play offs.

they host moana this weekend who have had a good season so far, on 4 wins currently, which is 3 more than last season.

both moana and crusaders have an outside chance to making the play offs, all depending on the Drua losing against the rebels. Its a pity this game isnt in Suva where i would have the drua as favourites. As it is in Sydney that brings things closer, but i still expect the drua to fall over the line here. Hopefully they dont "fiji" it. The rebels are already safe for a play off spot, which would probably equate to a decent season for them, so there may not be much fight in them and they will probably rest players.

similarly for the highlanders away against the canes. They can only be leapfrogged by the rebels, so they will know before they take to the pitch what is needed. Should the drua win, this could turn into an exhibition game.

the reds are locked in in 5th place regardless of what happens anywhere, but still expect them to put a good win over the terrible waratahs.

while the blues and chiefs looks like a good game on paper, the chiefs need nothing and cant catch the brumbies in 3rd

so most of these game slack jeopardy and i expect the table to remain exactly the same after round 14, with the only change being crusaders moving up 1 spot above the force, but still losing out on the play off positions (as deserved)

projected QFs:

Blues v Drua

Canes v Rebels

Brumbies v Highlanders

Chiefs v Reds

and id expect 4 home wins from those games

looks like weakened sides almost everywhere for this round, which is disappointing.

looks like crusaders / moana and canes / highlanders will be a rout for the home sides.

blues v chiefs looks like it will be the best game of the round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Looks like the Rebels are gone. Application to compete next year was rejected

We could find a nice cushy home for the Tongan Thor ....

Joking aside, that's going to really hurt Southern hemisphere rugby.

Will sanzar go back cap in hand to the jaguares I wonder??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Ben O'Keefe doing his usual minimizing of dangerous play in the Blues/Chiefs game. Penalty only for player diving over the top of a ruck and clashing heads with the 9...penalty only cause he wasn't aiming for the 9, but trying to counterruck. Madness.

• Advertisement

Ah but he didn't dive over the ruck though.

He counter rucked rickitelli but bounced up off his shoulder and went upwards and over him.

I've some sympathy for that decision, whereas moody yesterday should have had a clear red card for a swinging forearm to the face with no attempt ever to be legal

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, the Moody one was bad alright.

But there's no way that play today wasn't dangerous play warranting a card. Completely reckless and never in control of his own force, and ends up sticking the nut on the 9.

BOK always fobs off dangerous stuff as if the players have no responsibility - long ago gave up trying to guess how he'll interpret any given foul play incident, but generally it's safe to assume he's going to minimise it.

Yeah I could have seen Jacobsen today get a yellow and I wouldn't have had a complaint, but at the same time I can see where the decision came from.

There is absolutely a schism in how these situations are viewed between North and South.

NZ learned the hard way in the last RWC

Great finish to the blues chiefs game.

Last minute ioane try to take the TBP from the blues and regulate them to second place.

Quarter finals are now set:

Canes v Drua

Blues v Rebels

Brumbies v Highlanders

Chiefs v Reds

Frank Murphy showing its not only SH refs that come up with bizarre decisions when head contact is involved

• Advertisement

Three cracking tries so far by the chiefs

Chiefs ruthless that first half

Yeah it's game over. Reds had chances there but poor mistakes on their own behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Chiefs on fire. ALB & DMcK brilliant.

blues v brumbies

canes v chiefs

should be two cracking semi finals, after the disappointment of 4 blow out quarters.

a 24 point average difference across the 4 games shows the difference between the top teams and the pretenders.

really it should be a hurricanes v Blues final in Wellington, but the chiefs will really test the canes. the blues will have more than enough for the brumbies, once they are at the right physical pitch, their easy victory over the drua wasnt great prep.

predict blues by 15

canes by 5

Akira Ioane to leave the Blues after 10 years, heading to Japan

• Eligible to play for Japan from November next year (2025) too.

Interesting!!

I also read that he's eligible for Samoa as well. He's one of those players who would have had a much longer test career had he played for another country. He's unfortunate to have just had better players ahead of him in NZ.

In other bad news for Aussie rugby and Joe Schmit, carter Gordon has switched codes and signed for rugby league team Gold Coast Titans. Aussie rugby simply cannot survive when it's best up and coming players are leaving the 15s game, with carter joining marky mark in the nrl

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Blues already looking way too strong for the brumbies.

12-3 up after 9 mins

Simple errors on restarts & poor discipline giving Blues easy entries.

Not that the Blues need help.

• Advertisement

Better 2nd half from Brumbies as the game lost shape. All the damage done by the Blues in the 1st quarter & they ruined Brumbies lineout throughout.

Ref Doleman didn't go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Still a significant gap between NZ and Aussie sides.

Chiefs and Hurricanes should be a good game

Hopefully.

Regardless of the winner, I still have the blues as favourites for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shite news alright, especially since they could do with a quality 10. Always blows my mind that such an inferior game like League is so successful in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

anyone watching?

The chiefs almost scored the try of the season…. almost…

Some great tries (& nearly tries).

'Canes never really in it. Chiefs march on. Cortez Ratima is some rookie.

Absolutely cracking game!

Canes errors cost then dearly, and chiefs kicking game a notch or two better.

Some fantastic trys scored and also not given.

Thought Gardner didn't have a great game either, let absolute mayhem go at the breakdown and didn't reward the defense much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I always felt he never reached the heights he should have. The potential he showed at U20s and 7s, e was phenomenal. The talent he has, he should have been a test regular and dominant force. Have heard stories that he had a bit a lazy attitude towards training and doing the extra work required to be a really top player.

Samoan father, kiwi mother, born in Japan. @[Deleted User] does being born in Japan qualify him?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

does being born in Japan qualify him?

Yes. Eligibility criteria are entirely based on place of birth rather than citizenship.

Advertisement