Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade bread

Options
  • 14-11-2023 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is there nothing like it? Makes the whole house smell so good. I bought a big stand mixer with a bread hook and have tried making bread with it, but I'm finding the outcome isn't as good as when I hand knead it. Anyone else have that happen? Any clue as to why my bread just isn't rising as well when I use the machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I gave up using a mixer and kneading years ago. No knead bread is the best. Just takes a bit of time. Get yourself a set of mixing bowls with silicon lids that you can use to prove your dough without wasting clingfilm.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I too had the same experience with the stand mixer, which is confusing because this is what they use in many YouTube tutorials and they seem to have good results.

I also notice they can generate some heat within the dough as well during the process and I'm not sure if this has some effect on the dough.

I'm thinking possibly how long the dough is in the mixer for, could be very important for success. There might be a fine line between the dough being in there too long or it is not in there long enough.

Maybe try two batches, one where you take the dough out of the mixer as soon as it takes shape and the other where you leave the dough in there for and extended amount of time, to see if there's a difference in how it rises.

Personally I've found the less I do with dough the better it turns out. I actually don't kneed my dough at all now, I mix the wet and dry ingredients, then leave it sit for 30 mins to an hour. From that point on I perform a single coil fold, then leave the dough alone for 30 mins to an hour and repeat the process a number of times, I try be a gentle with the dough as possible, which is why I don't like using the mixer any more.

Advertisement