Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives/Leisure Cycles 2024

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did you have to get off and walk past the accident? A load of us were ordered to walk down that descent. It felt very strange doing so and not that easy in cleats. Hope the lad who crashed has a speedy recovery.

(Is it just me or did anyone else think the amount of emergency vehicles at the scene was OTT? There must have been 10 vehicles between fire tenders, Garda cars, ambulances etc. for one cyclist).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When I passed it, there were two ambulances (and nobody asking me to slow down or walk but given the damp surface and my brake blocks, I was already taking it handy). When I was heading towards Enniskerry three fire tenders and a 4x4 fire unit all passed me with the blues and twos going.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

No it must have just happened when I was passing .The marshalls were just telling riders to slow down before it. I passed 3 fire trucks and a couple of garda cars on the way up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

It would of been called in as an RTC it's standard for minimum of 2 pumps to be called to an RTC the jeep would have been station officer better to be looking at it then for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pink Snack

Too bad we didn’t get today’s weather :V Glad I dressed for the colder temps yesterday tbh.

Second ever sportive and first of 2024. I was second group ish until Rugalla which was decent place. Haven’t climbed up that side before so that was a nice shock to the system. Eventually caught another group and getting to rip the descents in a group was good fun.

Didn’t grab much at the food stops but they looked well stocked when I was in, water placement good.

Well run event overall.

Regarding the rider that went down, I passed not long after it happened - I was waved to slow down and I saw someone being tended to. I saw a bike with front wheel off but that may not have been theirs.

Someone above mentioned the amount of trucks going up. Multiple fire trucks passed me soon after. One on a particularly narrow section so it wasn’t ideal. More support vehicles also. Seemed excessive. I heard chat that they were OK or at least nothing terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Thoughts with the rider who came down and is in a very serious condition in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 crankyoldgit

https://ridewithgps.com/news/9851-the-2024-cutty-cap-challenge-is-here

Dublin in one of the cities included

A bunch of cycling caps hidden close to the city. Clues go live on RWGPS Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Is Mount Leinster an optional side quest on the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭secman

Full route and shorter route on Cycling Ireland site, Full route has 1,650 meters, tough enough.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/x74xhPyS91

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tbo1

A bunch of us will be doing the Ring of Beara next weekend for the first time - any tips for the 140km route? How does it compare to Ride Dingle - did that a few weeks ago for the first time and really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Its a great spin, we side tracked off it the last time and went up the healy pass, and then back down the same side again and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭secman

You won't be far from road to Mount Leinster, could always nip up to the mast and rejoin the route 😉 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

The big climb on the ring of beara has a wee cheeky steep bit that's possibly harder than the big steady climb on ride Dingle.

If you enjoyed Dingle you'll love beara.

Did anybody take on Ring of Beara last weekend? The weather was atrocious and some of the hills down around Allihies were real grinders. The part from Castletownbere to Glengarriff was probably one of the less scenic parts but overall a great event. We will hopefully do it again next year and the weather might hopefully be better.

There was a great atmosphere around on the Friday night, pity about the weather on the Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shaymouse

yep, did the 140km, terrible weather, the atmosphere after the event was non existent compared to other years.

Did it a couple of times previously, last time maybe 5 years ago.

Saw a few people without rain jackets, who really appeared to be suffering in the cold weather, still the best sportive in the country, and I intend to do it again next year.

Didn't like they they are now charging for photos, before they would put them on FB,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

McNally Swords CC annual sportive Sunday 23rd June 9am from Fingallian's GAA Club, Swords. 70k and 120k routes. Food stop at Emerald Park (Tayto Park) and refreshments afterwards. €30 online (No entries on the day)

https://eventmaster.ie/event/Rm8lFL5h76

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shaymouse

My understanding is that it's run by a local committee, that gives a fair contribution to different charities in the area each year,

https://killarneyadvertiser.ie/news/rain-didnt-dampen-spirits-for-the-10th-ring-of-beara-cycle/

while the actual management of the event is done by the events management company Elite Event Management, who no doubt charge a hefty fee for their services,

As mentioned earlier it is very disappointing that you have to pay for photographs now after forking out over €70 to take part! Why do all these events have to turn into money grabbing opportunities. Same thing with Ride Dingle so likely for most Elite events now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I personally preferred the Tour De Beara in Sept. Similar route but with the Healy Pass thrown in twice. Undoubtedly more difficult as a result but it breaks up the long run from Castletownbere to Glengariff doing it that way. Weather more reliable in Sept too 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

possibly. W200 is next up afaik. Be interesting to see if there will be a charge for photos at that event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

There is quite a gap between the two routes in terms of difficulty for the less capable and that’s reflected in the numbers doing each I’d say.

The weather is no different really in last 6 years. TDB had to be cut short a few years back the weather was so bad. Prior to this year ROB weather has been fantastic going back to at least 2016 (not sure what it was like during the COVID cancellations).

Having done both there’s nothing to match the anti-clockwise stretch between Eyries and Alihies for scenery. Not the same really going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Each to their own I suppose :) maybe on a nicer day id have appreciated the RoB more, it was absolutely dreadful.

The roads are open every day. Nothing to stop you going down doing dingle peninsula, ring of Kerry and beara over a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Tour de Kilkenny on the August Bank holiday weekend €40 entry

https://marblecitycyclers.com/tour-de-kilkenny/

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

really enjoyed this last year - very well run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just how difficult is Ring of Kerry?? Doing it next week and I must admit that I'm a beginner. Just done a few 70/80km around the Wicklow mountains. Plus a few 30/40km in Dublin mountains.

170km seems so daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@Giftofgab the Ring of Kerry is one of the easier longer distance charity cycles in Ireland,much easier than the WW200 for example.However,I'd be worried by the lack of training as your post is suggesting,a few spins aint going to cut the mustard for an easy day on the Ring.If your going to attempt it I suggest leaving at 6am and just taking it very handy.Keep sipping the water and eat frequently,1/2 bar here and half a banana there.Its all about steady pace and fueling.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

You'll be fine, not too much elevation. As said already, make sure you're taking on enough food, I'd lean on the side of possibly taking on too much rather than too little!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A gap in the racing calendar that weekend so likely I'll give this a bash although not at racing pace given the 2000m.

Advertisement