Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives/Leisure Cycles 2024

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Brutal weather doing ring of Kerry today, in a heap after it. Looked like numbers were down on last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Seadin

Same here did it today. The climb up to the gap was horrendous with a downpour and heavy headwind especially towards the top of the climb. Numbers were about 4000. I have done the ring 12 times since 2010 and I have to say this was the lowest attendance of cyclists. Absolutely perfect though, it was too dangerous for years with too many cyclists doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

First time doing the ROK since 2019 and while there was a definite drop off in numbers the roads were still full of cyclists - just not as bunched up as in the peak years.
    The weather forecast was awful and I was briefly thinking of skipping it but glad I went as only hit a couple of showers - the first of which was a heavy downpour just after Glenbeigh.
    It was a bit windy all day which was sometimes beneficial. Got blown up Coomakista which was very windy at the top so didn't pause there for long. The bike was a bit twitchy from the wind on the descent from Coomakista - and that's without deep section wheels.
    There was quite a lot of sun and blue skies throughout the day which helps a lot. It was dry, sunny and reasonably warm at the end which facilitated the after party at the finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I did it also. Great day out. Got one shower near Killorglin but seemed to dodge all the rest of the rain and as said above had plenty blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

I agree, about 4,000 did it which made a massive difference in terms of safety, comfort etc. I did it a few years ago when there was 12,000, it was mental with far too many cyclists on roads with some crazy overtaking and cycling etiquette going on! Appreciate that it’s a cycle for everyone, which should be actively encouraged, but the organisers allowing for 12,000 was too much and put a lot of people off doing it again. This, plus the high entry cost, plus the cost (and lack of) accommodation has put people off further.

Overall, a good cycle yesterday. The weather was better than I expected, was expecting the worst in the week leading up to the event. The showers seemed to be very isolated, talking to some people and they avoided all showers while others got drenched at different points on the route! The wind was nasty at times though, particularly going up Molls Gap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I started early this year and felt like I had the roads to myself for the vast majority of it, I kind of missed the craziness of the peak years when the roads were absolutely thronged.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Fiftyplus

First time doing ROK and enjoyed it. Weather better than expected, climbs handy enough and wind generally in our favour. Much prefer the Ring Of Beara though in terms of scenery, atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

FIrst time doing ROK. I'm very much a beginner so finished it in just over 9hours. One of the guys done just 1 60km spin and one or two 30km spins for training and he completed it before me. I was absolutely shattered afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did it as well, 2nd time. Was on track to beat my previous time at kenmare but legs disappeared on Molls and there was a horrific headwind up there.

Weather was mad, had torrential rain 3 times, and actual hot weather twice, never had so many costume changes on the bike.

Advertisement