Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sungrow SH5.0RS Hybrid Inverter

• 14-11-2023 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I recently had my Solar PV set up and wanted to pass on how my experiences so that others who might be considering this inverter know how it operates.

I decided during the summer to go solar after we moved house and got a house with a large south facing roof. My main consideration when considering the options for inverters and panels was maximising production during the winter months so that meant alot of panels. All inverters I looked at only had a 150% oversize capacity, by chance I came across Solaredges SolarHub which has a 200% oversize capacity. When looking into it I came across a comparison between the SolarHub and Sungrows SH5.0RS on an Australian site. The SH5.0RS had a 240% oversize capacity and all the reviews I read on them were very positive, and when I read about DC coupled residential EV chargers and DC coupled Heat Pumps then I knew the SH5.0RS was the inverter I needed.

My initial designed PV configuration was going to be 28 x 420W panels, SH5.0RS Hybrid Inverter and Sungrows SBR series of battery with a 6.4KW capacity (battery is modular and comes in 3.2KW blocks). My installer informed me that I would need to use Sungrows SP600 Smart Optimisers to control the volatge. The voltage limit is 600v per MPPT, and if the voltage limit is exceeded then the warranty is voided. The optimisers were suppose to be going on sale in October but the launch date got pushed back to Q1 2024 by Sungrow, so my installer recommended reducing the number of panels if I wanted to go ahead now without the Optimisers. We went ahead with a 20 panel setup but I added another battery module to bring my battery up to 9.6KW capacity. I ended up also adding a Zappi Mk2 as the crowd I had originally requested to do an EV Charger install failed to show up and failed to reschedule even though they received full payment 2 weeks before the install.

The system went live the evening of Thursday the 9th of November with no generation and 1KW already in the battery. On Friday generation started at about 0810 and the battery was fully charged by 1140, base load for the house is roughly 250W an hour, so that battery charges rather quickly when theres a bit of sun and no one home. On Saturday I enabled the Force Charging which was very easy to do in the settings, I set it to charge to 70% SOC between 02-04AM as I'm on EI EV plan, I also set for there to be no Discharge from the Battery between those hours, also very easy to do in the Settings. I charge my EV from the grid between 02-04AM at the 12c rate and finish off the charge between 04-06AM with battery power I purchased at 12c per KW. I'm still tinkering around with the system so hopefully I'll become more knowledgable about the system as time goes on

Since Friday morning till I'm typing this I've produced 93.2Kwh and purchased 86.4Kwh which the majority has been at the 12c rate. I've exported 28.1Kwh but I havent received confirmation from ESBN on receipt of NC6 so this is all wasted. The max production I've seen the system produce was 7.1Kw but this only lasted a few minutes as the clouds drifted back in. The Inverter has an UPS feature which is supposed to kick in within milliseconds during power cuts but this feature isn't enabled as of yet as my fuse box needs to be rewired.

So far I'm extremely happy with the system, its very easy to use and change settings, and the user interfaces and user friendly. In relation to the installers, they were fantastic, very professional, very friendly and made sure the place was left spotless after them. There customer support is excellent, they have whatsapp for the different departments and the responses to queries is very quick.

If anyone is contemplating Sungrow and has any queries hopefully I'll be able to answer them as long as there not to technical. I'd just like to thank the guys on here who took the time to answer questions I put up in other solar threads on here and give me a steer.

Comments

Advertisement