Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Portal

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone had issues with it thinking a button was still being pressed down? It's happened me twice now, once with R2 and last night with the left dpad button. Even in menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dodge challenger

Smyth's seem to have had a fairly big restock, if anyone has bought one in the last couple of days can you say what firmware version they have shipped with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Tempted by this as I work away quite a bit but is it still not possible to sign into public wifi that needs you to accept t&c's through a web browser?

Just about every hotel needs you to open a browser to connect to the wifi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH if you're using it primarily for travel / out-of-home use, you'd be much better off with a dedicated handheld that can play games locally and won't rely on WiFi. Even if you can log on, I'd never be willing to rely on that kind of network for a stable connection able to stream at the level needed for remote play given the vast disparity in WiFi quality in hotels and the like. Would also be a brick on the likes of plane journeys.

While the Portal will theoretically work on external WiFi in ideal circumstances, it is a device primarily built with home WiFi in mind (and very much marketed that way). A Switch or SteamDeck would be much more suitable for travel, if you don't have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I've a Steamdeck and Portal and I'd be inclined to spring for the Steamdeck if you can. Apparently it's easy and reliable enough to use the SD as a remote player for your PS5 anyway, and you then have a huge Steam library to play games locally anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

about to buy one of these are they worth while ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This week's update supports logging into public wifi now. But in saying that I did try to play while I was at a hotel in Kinsale. I tried both the hotel wifi and hot spotting over 4G and neither was what I'd class as playable.

You could grab the old Steam Deck model, even a refurb, and get the best of both worlds. Can play locally and can play remotely and via the cloud.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I haven't been able to connect mine using mobile hotspot. Is their certain settings that I need to do before it will connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Not that I've found, once the PS is on in Rest mode it should connect. Is it not connecting to the hotspot or not connecting to the PS5?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

What I found helped me was changing the bandwidth in the hotspot settings to 5GHz preferred

Just wondering if anyone would have advice on my set up...

My PS5 is in the Attic, I have it wired to a TP Deco E4

I have another TP Deco E4 in the hall downstairs thats acting as the main router I guess

When I am in the attic the connection is flawless and I have no drops however when I try to play downstairs it drops every 5 mins or so...

Should I add another Deco downstairs or something?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I only just realised my Portal was connected to WiFi on 2.4GHz instead of 5ghz. My Eir F3000 router doesn't have the option by default to pick which frequency to connect to.

Have found a workaround to be able to rename the 2.4 and 5 to different SSIDs so can now select which one to connect to. All seems pretty stable so far on the portal, was playing for over an hour last night with little to no lags, whereas earlier in the day I was getting constant network drops while connected to 2.4GHz.

Thanks for the reply the portal was unplayable for me aswell using EIR, thats why I got the deco's, I was able to connect the PS5 via Ethernet and its been way better but not perfect the further I go away from the PS5 so thats why Im wondering if I got another deco downstairs would it improve things 🤷🏻‍♀️

Its great when its working well, getting more gaming in & getting through some of my backlog now aswell 😬

Hardwiring my PS5 is a no go at the moment, without running new cables. I had tried a TP Link powerline adaptor, but looks like the wiring in my house is not suitable so scrapped that idea.

I do love the portal ( aka Dad-Station) when it works and has given me a lot more time to invest in games recently.

I dont know if the TP Link Power Line are any good but this is what I went for and works a charm... im not great with tech but the set up was easy enough and you can change easily from 2.4 to 5ghz

The 3 pack is on sale right now, I had bought the 2 pack for that price 😅

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/modems-routers/tp-link-ac1200-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack.html

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement