Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 rounds

Options
  • 15-11-2023 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just wondering had a couple licenses there recently, one renewal and one brand new put 1000 rounds on both and gave reasons. Both came back with 500 rounds, with no explanation why not 1000. Anyone know if there's anything I can do or if I should be getting a reason as to why I'm only getting 500? What I can do in future to make sure this doesn't happen again have another renewal in few months I'd like to get that up to 1000 at least.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Going on nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭RD88

Same here I noticed when I got my last license back for the 22 it was down to 250 I had 500 on mine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I think a lot of this is testing the waters to see can people justify their current ammunition allotment and if they cannot then keep it at the lowered level.

Call the FO to see was a reason given, re-read your reasoning to make sure it was sound, if the FO isn't sure then call the district(non restricted) or divisional(restricted) office and ask the question there.

If you don't get any joy with any of that call up the respective office and ask for a meeting to talk it through.

I had a similar thing before with an increase in ammo allotment, I was informed before the licence was granted that the increase was a no-no, so I asked for a meeting and spoke to the chief.

I wouldn't say the meeting went swimmingly, but a compromise was reached which I was reasonably happy with(an increase but not as large as I requested initially), so that might be a worthwhile route to go down.

Also FYI, if they trot out "public safety" or similar as a reason they must provide more evidence than just that, ie statistics showing increased breakins in your area, etc. A judge threw out that little nugget a while back which supers/chiefs seem not to have gotten the memo about, and if memory serves @Grizzly 45 was the one who mentioned it here before.

Just wish I had known it before my meeting as "public safety" was trotted out, and upon enquiring I was told that their decision was based on Garda crime statistics, and of course when I asked for a copy of same I was smugly told they were for internal use only... 🙄

Delightful meeting as always. 😋

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

I have requested crime statics from the minister of justice RE: stolen firearms and ammo, and same that is used by criminals with a breakdown of what type of firearm it is (antique, deactivated, shotgun etc ) . I also requested the number of illegal unlicensed firearms in the state.

Will be eagerly awaiting the response. It was requested in 2014 by Des Crofton. And was never furnished that I’m aware of. Unsurprisingly the number will be not what the PTB want it to be.

the 2008 provisions were drawn up to comply all firearm owners to a standard set of security therefore if were spending money on these security arrangements why aren’t the PTB happy following the commissioners guidelines on ammo allowances? Unless there’s a proven criminal burglary issue going on on your area then id like to know the exact public safety reasoning behind a ammo reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FYI, if they trot out "public safety" or similar as a reason they must provide more evidence than just that, ie statistics showing increased breakins in your area, etc. A judge threw out that little nugget a while back which supers/chiefs seem not to have gotten the memo about, and if memory serves @Grizzly 45 was the one who mentioned it here before.

Guess they don't read their guidelines,as it state quite clearly. Public safety is a factor to consider.it is NOT a standalone reason to blanket refuse a particular type of firearm in a district,as each license must be considered on its own individual merits. As one now retired CS found out to his cost in the Limerick DC back in the day now ten years ago last month.As did other Cheifs in Dublin DC where DC judges threw out numerous refusals on the same ground.

As for this thing of quoting ammo theft or the public safety argument. Ask them if they were satisfied to grant say 1000 rounds 3 years before, why is a reduction by half now a reason to doubt your security arrangements? After all 500 or 1000 rounds will be nicked if your security isn't good? Another thing to point out is that this is the maximum amount you can possess. It doesn't mean that you WILL have 1000 rounds at all times in your possession either at all times. Ut might be that you do need the 1000 rounds if depending on your discipline be out for a serious clay-busting competition,or are planning on shooting for Ireland in two years in Paris. You'll be burning a thousand rounds a week with no problem to get to that standard. Ditto,for air rifles and .22s, bulk packs of a favourite ammo that you gun likes mightn't be always available and if you are serious in you're shooting you could burn that in a couple of hours on the range.

I think where this comes from was an EU recommendation back in the last directive that the standard across the EU should be 500 rounds per firearm.Don't think it amounted to much in the end, but maybe they are basing it on this too?

Anyhoo, its' up to you to challenge it yourselves if you are in that situation. Give them an inch an all that...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Depends entirely on the Super and what they think is enough for you. 500 rounds is a lot of ammo to get thru.

What reasons did you put down for wanting a larger amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You'll never see those figures as the whole PULSE system with firearms is a disaster.Sparks drew up an excellent pie chart on the figures that were finally released on what firearms were held and what were the most stolen firearms types in Ireland as well as the most licensed. [Single shot and DBBL shotguns in either config are/were the most nicked,and O/U and semi-auto shotguns are the most popular in Ireland IIRR] There were things on PULSE that were registered as firearms that screwed up the stats too. Gun safes, hand grenades, pepper spray cans,deacts, and airsoft were included as firearms.[ More than likely entered by Gardai dealing with crimes and having no other options in the system info on weapons relating to a particular crime incident.] The whole PULSE information is so unreliable that the Central Statistics Office won't use their data to give stats on crime trends back in 2014 and are probably in the same mindset today, near on a decade later.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement