Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why so many iPhone apps are ad-supported

• 15-11-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a rant I'm afraid, but bear with me.

I hate advertising in apps. I hate in-app purchases. I want quality software that doesn't nag me.

Two-and-a-bit years ago I put out a Solitaire game for macOS/iPhone. Since day one it's been priced at €0.99 or equivalent. I've added a lot to it over that time – support for 20+ game variants, guaranteed winnable games, commissioned card artwork, etc – yet monthly sales remain comfortably within single figures.

A few weeks ago I made the discovery that I'm seeing upwards of 10,000 impressions on the App Store for every single purchase. Apparently the $0.99 price point is too much, and it's scaring people away. To that end, though I can't stand the idea, the next major upgrade is going to flip to free with in-app purchase prompts appearing after a few minutes of play.

I'm disgusted and revolted, but the market has left me no choice.

Bah humbug.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Pele just don’t want to pay for software. They’ll happily pay €40 and upwards for Sky or a broadband connection or a phone service each month but won’t pay a €0.99 one-time fee for software they might find useful.

To be fair though as well there probably beds to be a viable trial scheme which there isn’t Ray on iOS anyway. You can buy the app and do have a cooling off period but it’s not transparent how to get a refund. Having something like this would help. It night be good if Charles were deferred and a one week in-built trial period was permitted where you aren’t charged if you uninstall before the trial is up.

So when you don’t have any of this infrastructure it leads developers into an ad-supported model where users install for free but must ensure ads unless they want to pay to turn off the ads.

I’m not crazy about apps going to a subscription model either as I would rather pay upfront for a lifetime licence but I’m a developer myself and can see why app devs might go for a recurring income stream. There have to eat and pay bills too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And to make things worse, iOS customers are twice as likely to pay than people who own an Android phone. It's ****, I know some indie developers have used the idea of tip-jars or subscriptions to remove nag screens etc.

Advertisement