Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet outage - loose cable in the garage

Options
  • 15-11-2023 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My Virgin Media broadband stopped working. They can't send a tecnician over in weeks. I tried to sign up with other providers, but either they don't cover my area or they will take weeks as well.

I don't think it is an issue with my router because I got another one and it didn't work either.

When I was in the garage of my apartment block I saw a box with a mess of cables. The cover, with a "UPC" label, had been left open. There was a loose cable hanging tagged with our apartment number. My best guess is that a few kids were messing around, as they often do, and unplugged it.

I wonder if it would be as easy as plugging it back into any free slot, or how you can know the right one. And if they need to do something else on Virgin Media's side to enable it again.

I'd appreciate any suggestion, because we need a reliable connection to work from home, and my wife is under the weather these days, so she shouldn't go to the office.

Post edited by krause on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your access to their network is controlled by the MAC address of your modem/router so plugging the cable back in should suffice (though my DOCSIS knowledge is absolutely minimal admittedly).

Advertisement