Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A flat car battery (petrol)

• 15-11-2023 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

My battery went flat because the ignition was left in and the air conditioning was on for a good few hours.

It is not completely flat.

Can I leave the battery in a warm place for an hour or so and try again ?

I can always get a call out from Aviva in the morning but would prefer to fix it myself if I can.

It is just a petrol car (Toyota auris) and I know batteries can come back in a day or so unattended.

Can I give it a boost by giving it a gentle warm in a warming oven(about 60 degrees or so ) or is that risky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Do not put the battery in the oven!!

You need to jump start it or charge the battery. The battery won’t just come back to life by keeping it warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Keep in for no more than 20 min and sprinkle of mild herbs like some coriander for a bit of "je ne sais quoi"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks .I did a quick google before reading your replies.

I have taken it out of the warming oven (it was just in for 10 minutes) as I could see any thing above a summer's day's heat could damage it

Maybe if I can warm it to around body heat for a while that won't damage it.

I know batteries do recover just with time as this has happened to me when the car conked out and I returned the next day to find to my surprise that it started on it's own.

I thought maybe a bit of warmth might accelerate the process .

I have done it before in very cold weather and was successful but this is not frosty and the battery ran down by being left on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Surely this can't be serious? If you have the know how of how to disconnect and remove a battery properly, you'd clearly know not to put it in the oven.

It is a warming oven.I just use it for keeping plates warm .Not for cooking.

Temperature varies.Might be 50 or 60 .

But I can see that is still too high and so have taken it out.

We can call out someone in the morning but I am so annoyed to have done this and it is not the first or second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can often get a jump start from a friend or neighbour or even ring a local taxi company and they are typically quick with jump leads. Some cars can be push started if battery is not fully dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you have access to a second car a set of jump leads will get you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Aircon is pretty heavy on the battery so it's bound to be pretty flat if left running for hours. Probably sufficient charge remaining to show dash lights and even dipped beams but not enough to crank the engine.

Have you jump leads or any neighbour with some? Just needs a jump start and a decent drive to recharge the battery.

My battery after just over 6 1/2 years is dieing (got 10 years from the original) as doesn't really hold a charge (voltage drops) and is slow to start. Car failed to start a couple of times recently with just the radio running for 30mins or so. Will have to buy a new one this week.

It is a very cool oven of a range (always on ) and I have done this in the past in freezing weather when the battery would not start in the morning.

Maybe not in the warming oven but at the back of the range.

I took it out this time pretty quick when I realized it was just too hot for it

I have it at the back of the range and may give it go in an hour or so if I can warm it very gently to about 30 degrees (if that will help)

I might actually.I have the jump leads in the car and our neighbour's car might be out of the garage by now (we have been ferrying her around the last day or so)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've had some luck before with leaving it a few hours and trying again wherebye I make sure before that attempt that every single battery drain item on the car was disabled like fan, heater, auto lights etc were all off, if lucky you might get a single turnover or 2 and it might or might not work. Last throw of the dice really.

Thanks.If it doesn't work Aviva will come out for free.But they may lose patience with us as this is the third time!!

Maybe they will charge us ;-(

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I don't think I have ever read anything so stupid.....car battery in the oven?

Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Craziest thing I've heard of this year.

But...just go ahead and put it back in the oven until the explosion.

If you're not there when it happens then you can collect the insurance.

What happens to car batteries when the temperature goes above 40 on a typical summer's day in some countries?

Does it explode or does it just degrade the battery life

I have taken it out of the oven but I don't think the temperature in it was hotter than a very hot summer's day.

This is a range I was talking about.

There are 4 ovens.One is high temperature cooking. The next is lower temperature cooking.

The 3rd is a simmering oven (so around 100 degrees)

The 4th ,which I was actually talking about is a plate warming oven and so the temperature would be that of warm ,but handleable plates.

I was asking whether that would damage the battery .

The consensus was "don't do it" and I am not .

But if I had to give an inexpert opinion I don't think a petrol car battery would explode

It is one of those things that you "don't try at home" but might well be OK if you know what you are doing (which I didn't)

I often put AAA batteries in the simmering oven for a while when they get flat and it nearly always revives them for a good while.

I will put the battery back in the car in am hour or so and see if the downtime has given it a boost

Otherwise we will probably call out the garage in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Regardless of whether it would have exploded or not. Not did you think a warm oven would electrically recharge a battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do people not have anything to charge batteries with or even a few bits of old wire in the shed for jumping off an other battery? Or try push start

Also I have never seen air conditioning run off the battery in a normal non-EV car. Not saying this system doesn't exist

Even if you tied the wires from the power supply off an old eircom router to your battery for the night you might get enough charge in it to start in the morning. Heating it up in the oven sounds like a hair-brained scheme

I think it might be helpful (not to recharge the battery ,just to kickstart it)

Heat normally accelerates chemical reactions and ,as I said it works unfailingly with the batteries in the remote control for example

But as someone said ,just letting the battery lie will have the same effect.

I definitely head the swoosh of the car heater when I turned the ignition.

Something must have drained it and the lights weren't on and I didn't hear the radio.(the dash lights were on)

I did have an old fritzbox router but I took it to the recycling a couple of weeks back(sounds too technical for me anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I can't believe you put a car battery in an oven.

Read this thread and treat yourself to a battery booster.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058320274/best-jump-leads#latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

That would do it if you still have the power supply.

Take off the connector and strip off about 10cm of wire to wrap around each terminal. The positive wire is the one going to the hole of the plug that goes into the router

Thanks I got rid of that router a couple of weeks back and I think the power supply with it.

This is pretty academic but I have found the power supply that worked an old Triax freesat receiver.

I wonder whether that would work?

There is just the one round connector at the end of the wire.I don't know how I could tell which was the positive wire...

In any case I won't do that.I put the battery back half an hour ago but it didn't even turn the engine (the dash lights did come on)

In the morning we will call out Aviva Breakdown and just hope they don't charge us for being so stupid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

I think they are supposed to charge you if it’s in the driveway. Ie. Not a breakdown. So fair play to them if they do it for free.

Battery in oven - or even overcharging in house is bad as they can vent off dangerous gas when hot:- hydrogen sulfide. This gas is colorless, poisonous, flammable, and has an odor similar to rotten eggs… Heat wasnt boiling hot- but still wouldn't be advised.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

How old is the battery?

If your battery has died a few times already then it is time to get a new one

Especially over the winter months it will be a saver.

Secondly, have a look during the black Friday sales for a Noco boost GB40 boost pack.

This will help you if you are out and abouts only to find upon return that your battery is dead - or even be a good citizen and help someone else.

Even cheaper is a charger, this will charge your battery overnight if it is dead and recondition the battery as well.

This is slow and works overnight and is best for home for yourself or your neighbours.

Something like this

8A Car Battery Charger,12V/24V Battery Charger with Temperature Compensation,Leisure Battery Charger,LCD Screen Smart Battery Charger with Maintainer/Pulse Repair for Car, Motorcycle,AGM. https://amzn.eu/d/hiuQzmm

Yes that is pretty cheap.I had one but it rusted away years ago.

The battery is only about 3 or4 years old but we have drained it a few times already by leaving the lights/radio on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The safest way to to warm the battery, is to put in the bed next to you under the duvet, once it has warmed , you can then try and jump it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You have it backwards.When the chemical reaction is complete, a battery is dead. You need to slow the chemical reaction, while the potential difference builds up. You need to put the batter in a fridge or or freezer (not colder than -12deg).

This the fail safe way to make 12v batteries last longer as a kid

• Advertisement

They came out this morning and no mention of a charge.Said the battery was fine (ie no damage from being drained).

Was touting automatic cars as the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Not sure how an automatic car is going to stop your battery going flat!

Get yourself a battery charger from a motor factors, Halfords, or the middle aisle in Lidl/Aldi and don't go putting car batteries into your oven again.

No ,he was just making conversation.He drives one and said it is very relaxing.

I thought they were a thing of the past.

Becoming more popular by the day with higher sales of hybrids and electric cars which are all automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They came out to my driveway when the battery wouldn't start , no charge.

Not sure why you thought car battery chargers were a thing of the past but I can assure you that they are very much still available. You should be able to get one for less than about €40 these days that will do the job.

Alternatively, you could invest in a portable jump pack for a little more money and not have to disconnect the battery from the car to use it. Would get you up and running in seconds!

I am in no way affiliated to Halfords, the links I have provided are for reference but you will find plenty of these products online if you search elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

Can't believe what I just read, from battery in oven to breakdown coming out to start them 3 times & it went dead from Air con on , its winter, think they need a car manual for dummies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

? In a normal car with a crank driven air con compressor which requires the engine to be running to run the compressor and hence the alternator to be charging the battery, how would this be hard on the battery?

I doubt that the actual air conditioning was still running, more like the circulation fan was on inside the car and flattened the battery. Either way, take the keys out of the ignition when leaving the car and this won't happen!

If the car had been stolen while the keys were in it, that would be a fun conversation to have with the insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Lidl are currently selling battery boosters /chargers and jump leads. Very handy to have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They're also selling air fryers in case the above doesn't work. It's dual cook so you could heat up two batteries at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Have you tried topping up the battery acid with urine?

🙈🙉🙊

I thought automatic cars were a thing of the past.........

Are Halfords still going? I thought they might have pulled out of Ireland a few years ago.

Are you for real? At this point, I am not sure if this whole thread is a wind up or not!

Automatic cars are fast becoming the norm and Halfords have been here for decades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

😂😂😂

This thread belongs in "after hours"

They sold up in Galway about 5 years ago and I thought they must be leaving the country.

I don't notice much about other people's cars.

The last time anyone mentioned automatic to me was some 20 years ago (she had passed her test on an automatic and so couldn't drive a manual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Bravo OP

You trolled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Halfords still have a shop in Galway.

This thread is like something out of the twilight zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Battery shopping

"Ok luv, so that's 95 amps 15 millohms lead acid, and oh yep microwave friendly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Great heads up there op, didn't bother with the oven myself just set fire to the car instead, she'll start no bother in the morning

Does this mean the Aviva guy will get into trouble for unnecessary jump starting ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement