Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Wrexham (Disney Plus)

Options
  • 17-11-2023 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else been watching this? Was surprised not to see a thread on it here given the profile of Rob and Ryan!

I just finished the second season last night and even as someone who has no association with the town and pretty much zero interest in football, I've absolutely loved it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

It is a great feel good show. Shines a light on the teams outside the premier league for a change. Hard to fathom a team like wrexham were outside of the league for so long, LOI teams would give their right arm for a stadium of that size.

Sure you can be cynical as to why Rob & Ryan decided to 'adopt' a team and why Wrexham of all places - something which I don't think they actually stated but to be fair they put their money where their mouth is.

And yes they do get the revenues for the Gin/Whisky/ Always sunny in Philadelphia, advertising - that's just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Whoever chooses the music deserves serious credit. The use of "Gonna Fly Now" from the Rocky soundtrack over the match in final episode of Season 2 was superb. I lost interest in football decades ago, around the time Jurgen Klinsman changed the highest accolade in the game from being a Premier League winners medal to an Oscar so it's quite fitting that it was a couple of actors that revived my interest in it somewhat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I really enjoyed the first season, second season was a bit much on the how great they are in the community rather than what's happening on the pitch but then again I knew what happened on the pitch so there wasn't much drama in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭squonk

Up to epishde 6 in season 2 now. Really feels like they’re just filling up episode slots this season. Season 1 felt more cohesive but season 2 just had a load of disparate subjects and while it’s still fairly good, I’m not as interested this year.

Incidentally it seems kind of shít that the women’s team can’t play at the racecourse and it’s explained away as “just the way it is”. They’re not paying the players and they’re relegated to what’s basically a field in a neighbouring town. I’m kind of surprised Rob & Ryan as outsiders are ok with that too.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I like that you never really know what the next episode will be about, it was cool they focused on the women's team and on the mining tragedy but it did feel like it was 2 or 3 episodes too long. The final episode was superb though, brilliantly edited.

I do find Rob and Ryan kinda annoying though. I like the tall English guy though, he seems a bit more sincere/genuine

• Advertisement

Yeah the two lads come across as annoying really. They seem sincere at times but it still looks like it’s a bit of a lark for them. I have a feeling though that what we’re seeing is them being’ ‘on’ and the reality might be different. There’s probably that expectation that they’re comedians so would be always having the craic. I’m left wondering at this stage though what happens the place after the show isn’t renewed. You’d think they’d get 5 seasons out of it anyway but it will end. It’s not a set you can just put into storage like Ted Lasso. It seems they’re buying their way out of the league now but it’ll be back to business as usual wherever they divest themselves of the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It all seems very setup, like yerman on holidays taking calls, that happens to everyone in a senior role. The black jerseys, they'll be able to sell those anyway. 1 thing that annoyed me was the varying length of every episode but that was also a good thing.

It's still a great watch just not as good as the first season but that was brilliant in my opinion and I'm just nitpicking.

You’re right. Plus she of what Shaun was called about was silly sgít like the balloon thing. He must be on done serious wedge to deal with that.

What kind of irks me is the pisshead from last season suddenly having a renaissance of sorts. I know there kind of a year behind but I was left wondering did they just film the shíte out of everything and everyone starting out knowing that there was bound to be a few characters in there? Has pisshead a job with Wrexham now? I’m figuring there helping him sort his life out in order to create a story arc.

Some episodes this season feel too short while others feel like they’re too long. The mining episode felt a bit long. I know it was a real tragedy and I’m not detracting from that but they filled a lot out there as well.

One other thing that irks me a bit is that they sometimes skip over the oppositions goals. I know it’s a Wrexham show but sometimes the scoring goes 1-0 to Wrexham then 2-1. What halved the other goal? I think they should be a bit nite respectful to their on pitch opponents I can kind of see why Notts County told them where to go with their documentary At the time I thought it was mean spirited but I think Notts had a point now

looks like Season 3 has dropped. Watched the first episode last night. Nothing remarkable. I’m tempted to look up how they got on in the new league. I was kind of irked because early on they play some challenge matches in a show tour of the states with Man U, Chelsea and Galaxy. Those were kind of glossed over and it sounds like Chelsea were only having a run out beating them 5-0. Later, their first league outing was against MK Dons. I’m not in the least a soccer head. I barely know where the goal is and I know it’s a Wrexham centred show but I’d like to see a bit more coverage of their rivals. IMHO it would be kind of good to get a run down of the other teams stats and who the strong players are. I also think it’d be respectful to the opposing team too.

It feels after this episode like things might wear thin on this show before long. I fully expect them to go on another player buying spree before long to buy their way up the table like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

don't know why ordinary people follow a play thing for the rich and betting companies

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

are you talking about the show or the sport itself?

the sport, the show tries to dress it up as if its not about money…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i have to agree about the sport in general. the show itself at least tries to show some of the human side of the supporters

they're all delusional, I notice the young fella Shaun hasn't reappeared in the first 2 eps.

I think the show is front and centre in showing that soccer is primarily about money. Wrexham are where they are now because the owners have put the money in to buy new players and a good coaching team to get them there. It’s blatantly obvious they’re buying their way up the leagues

You Only have to look at the sponsorship the team is getting now as well to drive that home. Season 1 they had a local engineering company as short sponsors I think, and Ifof Williams trailers. Now it’s United Airlines, a new kit company and tge stadium naming rights have been sold to some coffee company. Mac & Reynolds are making money out of the show rights as well. I hope the featured fans are being paid for their contributions as they’re also making the owners money.

Broadly I actually feel sorry got the Wrexham community. IMHO this show isn’t much different from something like Britains Got Talent of Pop Idol where Peter get catapulted into the big time and it’s great while it all lasts but all too soon the show moves in and they’re last years news. Same with this, Once the show is done they’re on their own and it depends on the next owners to keep things going. They likely won’t have the funds Mac & Reynolds have. It feels like they’re being taken for a ride. I really hope there’s more going on in the place than the soccer club because they’ll need other things down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭csirl

How 'real' is it? Was once part of a sports organisation which received a pitch from a US tv production company to do a "reality tv' show around the sport. There was nothing real about what was being proposed. Team was going to be supplimented with elite athletes and coaches behind the scenes to ensure it would win. The newly hired colourful coach (who made for good TV) being proposed wasnt even going to coach the tean - would pretend to when the cameras were rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Of course it's about the money. Pro football teams are businesses; some are publicly traded on the stock exchange (Spurs, Celtic, Lyon, Arsenal, Roma to name a few).

Ryan and Rob bought Wrexham because it had potential and they're looking to make money - it's an investment. They didn't buy a non-league team with the oldest national stadium in the world by chance. They bought it for the potential, the story they could spin, and how marketable they could make it. Granted, they seem to have taken a shine to the local community but they bought it for its money-making potential.

I don't pity the local community. Like any good business, it will attract new spin-off businesses, which will be beneficial locally. It has increased the profile of Wrexham on a global level. I take your comparison of it being like 'Britain's got talent / Pop Idol' and counter with it's probably more like a multinational company setting up in a rural town. If they decide to sell up, they won't sell for peanuts; anyone paying a premium will be doing so to keep the gravy train running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Advertisement