Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Golf Holes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

can't say I agree with your take on 6th. First of all the scenery is amazing on it. The green has plenty of undulation on it, its 100% not benign. The fairway also has a few bunkers on it also.

I do get what you are saying on 18 - but two good shots gets you home and one of the best pints of Guinness going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Ballykisteen is a very different problem to the one in East Clare.

In Ballykisteen the hole is along the road, theres huge nets down the right but also a net coming right across the front of the tee box forcing you to aim way left.

It's so bad it used be the first hole but they changed it so people have settled down a bit by the time they get there.

I agree on the 10th in East Clare. You can clip a nice shot across the first lake and then be stuck behind a big tree, having to negotiate another lake to get to an elevated green. They could really cut down the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Could have remembered that green incorrectly, just remember it all being flat at the top and sneaky bunker at the back. Love the course those two holes just don't do it for me.

Another one for me is Castleknock 1st - been a while since last played it but balls going into house on the left meant the water was OB when I was there, so stupid 2yards off the fairway = re-tee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Any hole with pointless internal out of bounds gets my downvote immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Not sure I agree about hole 6. I've played it maybe 6 times and have ended up in different places every time, including 3 on the fairway but very different.

But I totally agree with hole 18. I might as well prod an iron tee shot somewhere safe because I know my second is gonna be at the bottom of that hill regardless

I've played BallyB 3 times maybe and I thought the last 2 times that my second shot on 2 was difficult but not ridiculous. My aim is to make sure I get it up there but not too far over the back, and hope for 2 putts/chip and putt. Which is different to my normal aim of getting it close to the flag, but that doesn't mean it makes the hole worse for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

It's a dogsh*t tee shot on what is otherwise a nice course. The approach shot on that hole is good too. I play there a couple of times a year in opens and really like the course there but that tee shot is silly. Apparently that tee box is about 5 years old and had to be built as such due to golfers slicing the ball onto the road on the right and into properties at the other side of the road. The old tee box can still be seen nearer the previous green. Honestly it should be made into a par 3, just put a tee box at the corner of the dogleg about 175yd out and drive on with a par 71 course. It's such a mad tee shot that if you hit the protective net you get to re-tee without penalty as many times as you want. Can wreck a good round as it requires about a 220yd drive with a 50 yd slice to get in position for the approach shot. Most tee shots end up running straight through the dogleg into the trees. It's silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭patsat

A driver definitely isn't needed.

Long iron to the fairway leaves a short iron in.

If you can hit a long 3 wood or Driver with a slightly ce it gives an advantage but not worth it.

Again, if the tee box was flat and well maintained, it would be a fine hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Interesting to get the birds eye view on that - thanks! Biggest issue I always have there is the tee box isn't wide enough. The right hand side of the tee box points you into the left trees and the left hand side is uneven and full of divots, as you've pointed out. I'm guessing they won't extend the tee box leftward as it would likely have more golfers reaching for the big timber off the tee and it's back to square one then with balls landing on the road. It must be a nightmare altogether for lefties. There's hardly room on that tee box to accommodate both sided players. I think it would still be a fine hole with the tee box where I have the red square. Maybe a 170-180yd shot with the drain short and water left. Takes their tiny tee box out of the equation for the sacrifice of one stroke off the par of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,776 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bellewstown is a bloody commando course. I played it only once and was completely drained. Golf should be enjoyed and not an energy sapping trawl up and down steep hills. There's mountain walks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Agree that place is for the bin, it's also been a swamp almost every time i've played it.

Uhm - that doesn’t show the net that’s there right in front of the tee box though, which makes what you’re suggesting impossible

I play that hole every week, that's 100% percent a possible line with a straight shot.

Start it any bit right and you'll hit the net tho but that line is possible.

I play it a hell of a lot too, probably once a month but don’t particularly care how much either of us play it - that line you’ve given is just not feasible unless you’re a very short hitter (not you personally) with the way it hangs.

As the other poster said, the tee box just isn’t wide enough for it.

From my shotscope, and that doesn't require a fade off the tee.

Clearly you’re a decent level player to be able to go 4 iron, 7 iron into that hole but for the unfortunate players who aren’t long hitters, that positioning of the net kills the hole. I know my father needs driver there and you are forced to start well on the left side of the fairway. On a dry day the ball is gone into the left rough.

I’ve never seen a first-timer play the hole who didn’t completely laugh at it. Couldn’t chat arsed ruining the thread talking about it any more now because clearly it’s struck a cord with you as a member there.

Post edited by callaway92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Ronney

One that comes to mind is the old uphill par 3 1st at the Grange, Probably 10 years since I played that loop but feel it played the equivalent of 200yds with a tight OB to the Right. Awful first hole

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That was brutal, first shot of the round and scratch looming, Greystones first not as bad but you still need a solid strike and carry

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

13 @Strandhill is just a silly hole that ruins the round imo.

It's too blind, even if you play conservative with a 7 iron you can lose your tee shot.

The framing of the green is nice I will admit.

I just think it's not a proper golf hole and let's down what is a great back 9 imo...

There's actually a fair bit of room over that hill (on the right) but it severely punishes your approach shot between two high hills into a narrow green, I do agree though it stands out as a card destroyer.

• Advertisement

13th in Athlone, just a silly silly blind tee shot with long carry on a parkland course with a very high probability of blind approach onto a tricky green

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can't remember the hole number under the new routing but the hole in Lucan with the blind tee shot is pretty poor, it's around the 5th or 6th, where you cross back across the road, past the old par 3 that'd now a chipping green.

It's slows everything down, has no real feature or target line off the tee. Takes away from a great course.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's a slight dogleg left completely blind tee shot up the hill?

Farcical one I'd agree. Especially punishing for non-members as blind tee-shots often are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yes, that's the one, steep hill directly in front of you with a slight dogleg. Even if someone goes to the top of the hill to watch, they can't really give you a line

Fairly boring hole I think once you get up to the top of the hill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

The 9th and 18th in Stackstown.

One with a hillier fairway than the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

5th is it? Bit of a silly tee box alright. No idea where to hit if you never played the course before . There should be a society tee box up on the brow of the hill beside the bushes on the right.

Agree with the 13 th in Athlone too, too punishing for a high handicap golfer. Last time I played there was the first time I ever found my ball after taking driver over the hill, needed two members to show me the line - an I used to be a member there years ago!!

There is a hole in Portarlington with a tree in the middle of the fairway, left to right dogleg. Not a fan of these type holes at all, New Forest has one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The net protrudes right across the tee box. There's no defending that setup. The obstruction is only there because of the road. It's ridiculous. Maybe gets less annoying if you play there regularly but for visitors.

Getting a free reload if you hit the net says it all.

In Ballyneety they had a problem with houses on the 18th so made the par 5 a par 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Any course with a par 3 first hole, always irked me

I wouldn't say I'm defending it, it's definitely the worst golf hole I have ever played. Just pointing out that a big slice drive isn't the only/best option.

The proposed new N24 route will mean that hole, along with the 14th will be history in a few years. So who knows where they will fit 2 new holes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jesus havent played there in like 15 years, that always bugged me when playing it. Loved the course though, must go back.

Advertisement