Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Leak between floors. Found leak. What to do about the damage?

Options
  • 17-11-2023 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

My shower has been leaking down to the floor below. Took me ages to realise it was the shower. I can fix that part and seal it again. Going on for a few weeks so slowly got worse. A couple of times there was some small water lines coming down the wall. Not enough to puddle on the floor, just enough to see. (maybe 4 times, was only then I noticed the stain).

But wondering what do I need to do about the strain. Should I break a small hole in the ceiling plasterboard to dry it out and see the damage?

Can't afford anyone to look at it (unless it's major damage and that would be a disaster as not working).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

Well the easiest thing to do is to get a stain blocker paint and paint it over the stain. There's a few brand's available so whatever is available in your local hardware or paint shop will do. Follow the instructions usually is two coats and once fully dry paint over it with emulsion paint etc.

If you paint straight onto the stain no paint will cover the stain as it always shows through. Some people advise to use oil paint but this never works out. The best and only way to paint over the stain or any stain is stain blocker paint which can come in small tins depending on how much areas you have to do.

However as the leak is going on for few weeks it's best to cut off all the plasterboard that's stained and put up new plasterboard and plaster and paint etc. But when you remove the plasterboard you best need to fit new timber planks to provide support for the new board as invariably the piece you removed is not supported by nearby ceiling joists.

You can DIY plaster over the new board by using joint filler (as this goes completely hard as apposed to ordinary plaster etc) or smaller bags & tubs of ready mixed plaster-make sure to buy a roll of mesh for the joints and put this on the joints (it's self adhesive)- and then get stuck in yourself and then when hard sand the rough bits etc and fill again any holes/hollows until you get a smooth enough surface that's passable to paint.

Usually the stained plasterboard as its wet and then dries out it can smell musty later on as invariably mold is growing - or if no mold/mould wet plasterboard gets musty smelly-in the upside part that's hidden from view. The recommended advice is to always remove plasterboard that gets wet for prolonged periods of time as is always gets musty smell.

So that's the best way to sort it.

Advertisement