Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking soda for meat tenderising

Options
  • 17-11-2023 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭

I had been watching quite a few stir-fry videos/recipes lately and got an urge to cook one last night. Rather than make a trip to town, there was some stewing beef in the fridge that I said I would try to tenderise with (the seemingly common method of using) baking soda.

Has anyone had success doing this before?

Let's just say that last night was not a success and it ended up a veg stir fry. I followed a simple marinade that included a small amount of baking soda but as soon as it hit the wok, the smell floored me.

I did a bit of digging afterwards and there were some suggestions of washing the meat after using the baking soda, but most seemed to say that the marinade would hide any slight taste.

The marinade I did was oyster sauce, soya sauce, and sesame oil. The only thing I can think of is that something acidic got into the marinade to make it smell more like a science experiment rather than a stir-fry.

Wouldn't be inclined to try it again but would be interested to know if anyone uses this method?

Comments

Advertisement