Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Gas Bills

• 17-11-2023 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have a metric gas meter in my 2 bedroom apartment. It gives me two readings: the first reading is in M3 or cubic meters and the second reading is in kWh.

I have been submitting the second reading to my power company for the last two years. The gas company then muliplies these readings by 40.3 calorific value. Then I get extortionate bills in the post.

For example for the month of July 2023, I used 315kwh of gas. I calculated that this was £33.71. They estimated that I used £269.99. I tried explaining this but it's like talking to the wall.

Does anyone know what to do about this? They are estimating that I am using 55329 kWh a year. I have estimated 4300 kWh. I live alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Ireland, you submit the square meter reading, and the gas firm uses official conversion factors. Your meters kWh equivalent is not relevant and not reported, if one is even shown - I've never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭the O Reilly connection

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

I know now gas companies have their own formular for converting gas units. My current provider uses gas units used X 1.02264 X calorific value (40.3) ÷ 3.6.

Like I said, my meter already converts M3 to kWh and since living here, I have been inputting kWh instead of M3. The current provider then multiplies this by their own conversion formular. Now the bill is massive. Now they won't correct it. There's no back button they can use. Once it's there, it's there forever and you owe it!

They should be able to arrange an official reading and go back to that. Most suppliers will not take a customer reading below a previous one.

Are you in Ireland? Suppliers don't set their own conversion factor here - Networks do. You could also submit the correct m3 reading to Networks and see if that assists.

• Advertisement

No I'm not. I'm in Britain. I contacted networks and they ignored it.

Nobody here is going to have useful advise for GB

I believe there is an energy ombudsman there, try contact them

Thanks

I ended up getting a refund in the end. It turns out I was paying too much.

Advertisement