Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's wrong with my indicators?

• 17-11-2023 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭

OK so the other day I had need to use a trailer to move some stuff and it so happened that one of the indicators on the trailer lightboard was busted so the car did the usual fast flashing as a result. The other side was fine so the normal speed flashing went on.

However since I disconnected the trailer lights, now the car indicators flash at the fast rate on both sides. All of them work too and nothing is blown. Hazard lights work at the normal speed.

I disconnected the car battery thinking that might wipe it's short term memory but that didn't work. I reattached the trailer and the behaviour was like when I first had it connected. Disconnected and it's back to fast flashing.

This is the first time I've had to use a trailer with it since I bought it. It's a 2015 Outback fwiw.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

Try disconnecting the indicator lights at the light unit, then start her up and use indicators, (which of course will not work at the rear). Then switch off, reconnect indicators, and try them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

Yep no joy with that. Is there a way to reset this somehow I wonder? Removing a fuse or relay maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭ec_pc

did you check the electrical connector on your hitch? did any of the metal pins snap off the trailers connection and remain stuck in the cars connector?

Yep the car has the 13 pin socket with a 7 pin adapter and even removing the adapter makes no difference.

Did the trailer have led lights, or vice versa?

• Advertisement

Not on the trailer and not in the car either afaik.

But you gave me an idea of removing the rear indicator bulbs and then replacing them to see if it knocks some sense into the ECU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Did you replace any bulbs with LED replacements with the 'CANBUS' resistor in them? Might have a damaged bulb which lights up ok but the resistor is now shot.

I didn't but doesn't mean prev owner didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Bad earth somewhere. Will need soldering. Take it to an auto-electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Having said you disconnected battery would have been enough to reset it i would have thought.

I would also try removing bulb and if having a spare insert it as wondering is it a very bright flash with good connections or a dull flash with bad connections. + check bulbs are correctly rated .

• Advertisement

Have you tried reconnecting the trailor with all bulbs working? It may be that the ecu sensed a blown bulb and still sees it as blown until you reconnect the trailer with both indicators working.......maybe?

Advertisement