Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto insurance corrupt

• 18-11-2023 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭

I noticed several car insurance companies offer a discount to apply online.

They reel you in with an appeang quote.

However a few days later te email you stating they want at least 4 items and if not provided the insurance will be cancelled and void.

You then send required paperwork and then they up the price another 30-40%

I want to make an official complaint about this.

I've tested a few companies and they all do this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Insurance Ombudsman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This has never happened to me. Is there something you're leaving out when they ask questions about things like penalty points/convictions/previous claims etc. for the quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That wouldn't be my experience. Sure, things like a copy of driving licence and proof of no claims bonus are required by all insurers but if those details match what you entered on the forms then there shouldn't be an issue. I suspect there's a bit more to this though.

Anyhow, as stated above, the insurance ombudsman is where you go to complain but only after you have made an official complaint to the particular insurer and they have provided you with the result of their investigations into your complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

That couldn't be right. What are the 4 items

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Did you make statements on your initial request for a quote that were contrary to the information you provided in the documents you had to send?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can only be documentation not matching up to what you said in application.

What do they look for?

Driving licence

No claims discount from previous insurer if moving companies

Payment

Can't think of anything else or what these 4 items might be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

No absolutely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This doesn't happen to other people. You are clearly omitting something critical when applying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Never happened and it would be reported if it did

As a guess you are putting the wrong info in so when they check the information you sent in then the price goes up. Try again but fill in the correct information. You should be aware they have an insurance system which all companies share and can find out about crashes etc so lying doesn’t work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That’s it, maybe proof of address I think I was asked for as well but I think as the no claims on it they accepted that as proof …I could have sent in bill anyway

• Advertisement

What are the 4 documents they asked you for that increased price

• Original proof of 0 years no claims discount
    • Letter confirming 6 years claims free insurance as a named driver
    • Claims details letter from previous insurer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm sceptical of this whole thread. In order for multiple insurers to request the same documents, with a threat of cancelling the policy if the docs aren't provided, the OP would had to have been insured with multiple insurers. We aren't being told the full facts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They threaten to cancel/void the insurance. Meaning you had actually taken out the policy at that point.

And after they up the price, you decline and go through the same process with somebody else?

Proof of 6 years claims free driving, and also details of previous claims. Potential conflict there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Proof of 6 years claims free driving, and also details of previous claims. Potential conflict there.

Was the claim under a "protected no claims bonus" policy perhaps? Unfortunately a protected no claims bonus will protect your discount but the initial premium on offer will still increase due to the claim and increase in risk profile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a no claims discount only applies if you remain with the same insurer too.

Pardon?! Presumably you mean a protected NCB after a claim?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Whoops, I meant to say no claims protection only applies with the same insurer.

I'm a male aged 54 years driving since I was 16yrs old never been in any accident.

Been a named driver on wife's car for over 25 years.

Own policy car for over ten years.

Last Xmas my unprotected no claims bonus was lost as my car engine died and bumper broke from an icy road slide and they wouldn't repainl write it off and pay me €1600 for the cars market value.

I'm being totally honest.

One company axa wants the documents I had been with Aviva and also wife is

If you claimed, you have no NCB and the other insurers won't be asking for it. Are you putting down a nonexistent NCB?

That would be why the price goes up

• Advertisement

No I'm not

I'm ringvto revert back to my original insurer Aviva.

Funny they couldn't insure my car yesterday I've t wst until Monday as they wanted a letter from Axa to state id left them after just two weeks of insurance with them.

That was submitted last Thursday.

My car is uninsured now for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭feelings

You said they wanted at least four items. What's the fourth document they wanted? And what other documents did they request?

Ah right so there's a claim involved. I haven't ever had one so I haven't a clue

I forget but that was submitted last week

I was forced into writing my old car off.

They were very pushy back then nobody advised me ret going along with it now. For the sake of €1,600

So why are they asking for a doc they would not be aware of existing?

You are absolutely omitting something from the facts here. Both on your application and on this thread

I'm absolutely not

You absolutely are - you said they asked for four documents, you've named three and even then, one of them is one they wouldn't know existed unless you'd given inaccurate information and hence couldn't ask for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I wonder is the 6 years claims free named driver experience (even though on a separate policy) causing the issue? Do they take that into account when you’ve had your own policy?

There has to be a discrepancy between what you are putting into the application forms and what they are accepting.

Advertisement