Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free State with Dion Fanning and Joe Brolly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Had a look at the blurb for the latest episode, basically an investigation into how sport has lost its soul and become a commodity. Right up my alley I thought.....

Lasted about 10 minutes before Brolly was just going off on one about Mickey Harte and raging about how footballers traded in clichés after matches. I skipped thru it at 3 minute intervals and it was just Brolly, Brolly Brolly wanging on about GAA, only tentatively related to the podcast title.

This is a sick joke of a show at this stage. Dion Fabnning must be a sadomaschist who gets off on listening to this dose arguing with himself every week. The money would want to be fantastic to put up with this.

Ps, I thought the sudden jarring transition into an ad for shaving foam or razor blades called "Smooth Sack Summer" was fitting. This pod is a kick in the nuts to the listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Westernview

I'm not a huge Harte fan but Brolly recently calling him a c**t was completely unacceptable in my opinion. Fanning must be contracted to a certain amount of episodes. Otherwise it seems inexplicable that he would persist, considering the toxic direction the pod has taken.

It almost feels at this stage that Brolly is engaging in some sort of self-loathing, self-sabotaging process to sink the pod. They must be losing large amounts of listeners if the sentiment on this thread is anything to go by.

Regarding the 'smooth sack' adverts maybe I'm a prude but I find them a bit tasteless. The Second captains lads are it as well. Everytime I hear the adverts I cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He does seem to have a real hatred for Harte. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

I've heard it a few times recently. Eoin and Murph acting it out. I'm guessing Ken wants no part of it.

• Advertisement

Editorially it makes no sense. Surely to God, they would be better off covering domestic and international politics regularly, different sports, different sportsmen and women. There is more than enough going on in the world that they don't need to devote multiple hours to club GAA in Derry and ranting about Mickey Harte.

For a high profile barrister and obviously well travelled man, Brolly is as parochial as they come. I get the feeling that Dion is an outward looking man and would like to front a wide ranging podcast but he is being held back by Brolly who "just wants to go on about himself and settle old scores in public" 😂

Dion seems much more sophisticated alright. Brolly's childhood experiences in the north seem to be behind his persona. There's an obvious massive chip on his shoulder there.

The way Brolly sneers at soccer whenever Fanning mentions it is another example of his clingy devotion to GAA. It's quite insulting to the many volunteers involved in the FAI underage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

the fuq? That sounds implausible but unless you’re having very vivid strange fever dreams I guess it’s true.

you are not a subber I assume? You are Monday only?

Yes Monday only so those subbing may not hear it. Definitely not a fever dream 🤣

Just checked again - 12mins 45 secs on Episode 2981 free pod on spotify you'll hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Fanning called him out on it a few episodes ago asking why, he didn’t get any rationale explanation, he just called Harte a “cųnt” and then just went on some rant. It’s fairly bizarre, honestly at this stage I can only deduce from Brollys deep hatred for the man that something quite personal took place, still though it is totally excessive. The only thing it really confirms is in spite of brollys lefty liberal free love and peace for all facade of kindness and amiability, underneath this veneer lies a deeply disturbed, twisted individual consumed by vile hatred and malice. He’s full of shıt.

Strange. I can hear it on spotify every time. Not sure if anyone else can hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Harte gone now so he will have to move on- I’m sure he’ll squeeze at least 1 more pod out gloating about it

I'm sure he will. I certainly won't be listening if that's the case.

No doubt Joe will apply himself for the position and get to enjoy the easy job of dealing with player egos, backroom staff, county boards, demanding supporters and acerbic newspaper columnists sniping from the sidelines and devoting entire podcasts to undermining him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don’t think the sentiment on here is anything to go by. I like the podcast in general although his dislike of Mickey Harte is odd. He’s not the first non Derry man to manage Derry. He might be old and past his best as a manager and it was a strange appointment by the Derry board but he didn’t appoint himself to the job and he must have pissed on Joe’s cornflakes.

I enjoyed the podcast until recently myself but the excessive targeting of Harte has put me off big time. If he got it off his chest in 1 podcast fair enough but I can't imagine listeners are enjoying listening to such sustained negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Brolly has a mean streak that’s a mile wide. He will find someone else to target now.

I have wondered about that. He’s such a know it all about Gaelic Football why doesn’t he have a go at managing the senior team himself?

He is right about the proposed new rules in Gaelic football. They’re not going near far enough to change the horrible negativity in the game.

Derry v Kerry reminded me of why I stopped watching Gaelic football. I turned it on the day after Galway put Dublin out thinking that it may have inspired the other teams. It was garbage and it’s been like that for years. Why they’re doing nothing about it all these years is unfathomable. Joe should spend more time ranting about that than Mickey Harte.

Brolly’s tactical genius, enormous intellect, and exceptional man management and motivational skills would surely result in Derry winning 20 in a row. Probably wouldn’t do it to give other counties a chance.

• Advertisement

The problem with gaelic football is that it's a flawed game that's difficult to referee no matter how you change it. One of the biggest issues is the tackle. Although it is defined in the rule book it's a grey area for referees. Only one man is allowed to tackle another player at the one time but how often do we see a number of players surrounding an attacking player and a free out given for overcarrying. Very difficult to assess when one player has finished tackling and another starting to tackle a second later. I don't think the new proposals are dealing with that at all.

That and going sideways and backwards. It’s a game that has been completely ruined and the GAA are so slow about doing anything. They don’t get the same crowds that they used to at football or hurling either and again very little said about it.

These proposals talk about 2 points for a point outside a certain yardage or more points for goals. That’s fine but will do nothing about a team that’s ahead that can just keep the ball between themselves and run the clock down. In rugby there’s ways of getting a ball back with a choke tackle. They need to bring that in, if you can wrap a player up it should be a turnover of possession. They seem to unofficially give that at times and penalise a player for over carrying. They should define it but if it’s too much like rugby’s choke tackle the mandarins in the GAA will resist it.

Today's pod - "The fall of the House of Paisley (and Harte)"

Haven't listened yet but my guess is it will be another exercise in mis-selling. 10 minutes on Paisley, 30 minutes of Joe whinging about GAA probably!

Who will replace Harte in the bitter rants I wonder.

has he been holding his fire on Jarlath Burns? Kieran Mcgeeney will likely get it if Armagh don’t beat Kerry. Has he already been getting it?

Possibly one of those. Or maybe NI politics will take over his attention again.

Does Fanning ever get to pick a topic or is he just there because Brolly was told that monologue rants aren’t a successful podcast format and a nodding dog like Fanning will occasionally interject, but never really challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

They've promoted hotels, airlines, beer among other things.

Just a nodding dog it seems. Any time he offers even the mildest resistance Brollly turns into an indignant adolescent retorting with insults.

• Advertisement
Advertisement