Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something gone in car, what could it be?

• 18-11-2023 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭

As per the heading, I have a 2019 Golf, about a week ago I heard a knocking when I locked the wheel, from the front. My partner has had it since and mentioned today they heard a hum. I drove it around and it's strange to identify, its like a small hum which gets a little louder when I go faster as if something was rubbing. Then a slight knock when locking the steering wheel.

It has new tires, had tracking done with new wheels, due a service now. Just over 100k km on it so not huge. Will book in next week for service etc but just wondering what it might be and if big bucks with Christmas around the corner. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

It could be a million things and the price of the solution would vary, assuming the noise is only present when the vehicle is moving and not when running but stationary, it possibly has something to do with steering and the wheels moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sometimes if you have nothing really to add to the topic you can just move to the next thread. Just an idea 👊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cv joint or dodgy wheel bearing or if fitted aftermarket wheels recently, you could have an issue with fitment and rubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Wheel bearings, drop links?

Doubt it's a big problem and could easily be resolved and cheaply too when you drop it in

Thank you, checke into this and sounds like wheel bearings alright

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Could be the CV joint if its knocking on the full lock, bit early for that I would have thought, are the rubber CV boots torn ?

These keep they grease in and dirt out.

Or ball joints, Jack up the wheel and check for play holding 12 to 6 and 3 to 9 clock face , rock the wheel and see if you have movement, you shouldn't.

Also check to see if the tires are rubbing against part of the internal plastic mudguards worth a look , lock the wheel both ways run your hand around the inside should be clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Jack up both left and right front corners and look at the coil springs,look for a broken piece of the coil spring. Or if you look at the car head on is one side lower than the other.

Brand new tires, tracking etc all done and no issues. Based on google and description it does sound like wheel bearings. Down to garage to fix anyway when I can get a slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

As stated above I'd guess:

CV Joint

Top Strut Mount/bearing

Wheel bearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah once I hear wheel hum I get the bearings checked

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice, even if I had a jack to put it up, I would be looking into a field of thistles. Just wanted an idea before going to the garage and thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Don't think you're in big financial trouble here and doing it in conjunction with service is a pretty efficient way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Perhaps you should take your own advice then also.

So I shouldn't comment on my own thread?

You said it could be a million things but the other helpful posters narrowed down from a million to 3-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Maybe a wheel bearing or

Shock mount bearing or

CV joint or a damper spring or an engine mount or a differential bearing or a drop link or an ARB bushing or the steering rack or a wishbone or wheel arch clearance or a pebble in the undertray or low blinker fluid or Maybe a rumbling big end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mk7r

What brand are the tyres? Cheaper ones tend to make a humming akin to a worn wheel bearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If you get the car up in the air and spin each wheel by hand you will hear if a wheel bearing is gone, which is more than likely what it is.

they come in a hub, so you need a new wheel hub, about 60 - 80 euro for a decent one ( SKF ).

Advertisement