Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optimum PCP Deposit

• 18-11-2023 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

A dealer told me today that I should put down as low a deposit as possible on a PCP on a new car. I have enough to cover a 30% deposit but he said this would be unwise as I wouldn't be getting the most out of the PCP deal. The rate is 3.9%. His advice would mean my monthly repayments would be quite high. I can afford them but that's not the point- I don't want to pay any more interest that I have to.

Is it possible he is earning commission and trying to get me to borrow more than necessary? Or is there any sense in it?

Is there an optimum deposit for PCP? I read that 20% may be the sweet spot?

I would be grateful for advice as thus is my first time considering a PCP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The answer differs based on interest rate.

Clearly when not zero percent deal, putting down max deposit is the way to pay least interest.

There is more to consider though. If intending to keep the car for a long time, max deposit, then pay off at end. No issues.

If trading in every 3 years, some would argue that putting in about 15 percent deposit is a sustainable situation as you may have a similar amount to roll forward the next time without putting any cash in therefore allowing you to keep similar monthlies. If you put in max deposit, you will get a very low monthly. Next car, you will likely the have to increase monthly or put in some more deposit money.

It all depends on your situation.

Personally I'd put in the max deposit as interest is crippling on pcp due to offsetting a big lump of borrowing till end of deal and id also put some money aside every month to give options at end of term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

3.9% is cheap money for a car loan, I'd be inclined to agree putting in 30% doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The danger with 30% is when you go again, you may have to put even more money in to get the same low repayments, or much higher repayments if you don’t want to put more deposit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Whay I used to say to people (before prices went nuts and they suddenly started getting back large chunks of equity) was to do the figures with 10 percent deposit and be sure you can afford the monthly at that kind of deposit. If so go ahead with whatever deposit suits.

The issues arise when someone can barely afford the monthly with max deposit, a deposit that may have come from a fully owned trade in. They are then fine for 3 years but up sh1t Street at trade in time.

Advertisement