Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aftershave - Does it expire?

• 18-11-2023 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Bit of a debate here on aftershave - but does it expire? Can’t say I personally ever saw a best before or use by date on a bottle of aftershave!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its primarily alcohol so no, but the fragrances can get less potent and the overall smell can change if more volatile chemicals evaporate off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

It does when you're Kleptomaniac mams friend robs your brothers Joob...last straw in the mother's friendship there! She was having none of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I got a gift of aftershave 21 years ago. Still have 1/3 of it. No one runs away on the rare occasion when I use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Generally not, unless you leave it in direct sunlight/next to a heat source, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

According to one perfume retailer…..

“Does perfume expire? Yes, perfume and aftershave both go off. However, keeping your fragrance away from high temperatures and direct sunlight can help to maintain shelf life. Many perfumes don't have a set expiry date and can last anywhere between 1-10 years.”

has to be noted that this is from a retailer whose aim is ultimately to make more sales but this view is backed up by many sources…

one thing, pretty much every room in a house is subject pretty consistently heated or kept to high temperatures….

keep your fragrances in the bathroom like many people, it’s a warm / hot environment, people showering etc… bedrooms are just naturally warm too. Smallish rooms and kept warm as people spend probably about 10-11 hours out of 24 there a day so always kept warm… between, sleeping, resting, dressing / changing and other activities…

Some online sources advocate keeping fragrances in a not too cold fridge, just slightly cool. Others say that doing this can alter the chemical compound of the fragrance and thus the fragrance goes off to some extent… so conflicting info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

I remember finding a bottle of Hai Karate from the 70s belong to my uncle. It smelled like thinners mixed with cat piss. Maybe that's what it's supposed to smell like I'm not sure.

Advertisement