Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Ben Dunne

Options
  • 18-11-2023 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Reports of death of Ben Dunne formerly of Dunnes Stores, owner of Ben Dunne Gyms has died

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

When the thread gets pulled you don't know where the unraveling will stop.

Who could have known at the time what his coke fuelled breakdown in Florida would have ended up.

To be fair, he was quite the businessman, bouncing right back with his gyms.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭Xander10

Rip to the man.

Some horrible comments on here, earlier than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

What part of Cork was he born in?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Use to go to his gym myself and had a brief chat with him in Lucan.

Lots of bad comments that reflects the person saying them really. I didn’t know him so the only thing I can do is say is RIP.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,727 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ben Dunne has died in Dubai at the age of 74

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Remember when the IRA lifted him in Portadown in 1981. He was a character.

Then they or some other Republicans did the same to the MD of Quinnsworth Don Tidy a year or two later.

As if the business was going to be commercially disabled if one man was tied up in the back bedroom of a council house for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

He came across publically as personable though like most successful people in business I imagine he was ruthless. I imagine the kidnapping may have accounted for him going off the rails in Florida that time. Always got the feeling that Margaret Heffernan was always the driving force and that Ben junior liked the high life. Maybe wrong of course. He has died at the same age his father was. Apparently a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It wasn't about disabling the business. It was about extracting money from the wealthy family of the kidnapped individual in exchange for said individual being returned unharmed.

In the instance of Ben Dunne the Provo:s got £1 million I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Douglas I think. Family moved from Douglas to Blackrock and then to Ringmahon House

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

RIP big Fella

• Registered Users Posts: 26,356 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sad to see some Irish people still have the mindset bate into us by the upper class colonisers.

Very rich people give some of us some low paying jobs for the purpose of making themselves even richer and so we all need to drop to our knees in praise and weep at their coffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

He apologised to years ago to Mary Manning live on Radio 1 (Joe Duffy) - (she lost her home and emigrated to Australia)

His big old house in Blackrock (CORK CITY) is now known as 'Cork College of FET Youthreach Centre'

I remember back in the mid '60's going into Dunnes Stores in Saint Patrick's Street in Cork City - a forklift would drive into this 'supermarket' and drop a pallet of sugar on the ground - everyone then decended on it to grab a 2lb bag or two of sugar which would have been nearly half price of local shops at that time.

Have a listen to Christy Moore - he explains what happened in Moore Street in Dublin

https://youtu.be/TER_M3KNVCE?si=PXcNP_jadv0jdaHV

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Business people build businesses to enrich themselves. If they make peoples' lives better it's just a side effect. Business people generally don't get ahead without treading on toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Get a grip on yourself for the love of God and don't be such a drama queen with your batings from the upper class and dropping to your knees and crying at their coffins. That might be your family history but it's not true for the majority of Irish people.

Working class people and those unemployed during the recessions were dam glad that Dunnes existed when times were tough and money was tight.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,356 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Doesn't mean you have to like the people you work for.

Being employed is not a charity. You are providing a service to a person and in exchange both people get money out of it (but the employer usually more than the employee)

So fuk this Downtown Abbey doffing the cap bullsht. If someone thinks Dunne was a prick I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just to add to this don't forget the Dunnes workers who helped end Apartheid (as it was then) in SA.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He always seemed like a nice guy trying his best, his father and family seemed to horrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,163 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That’s far too black and white. Business people are why we have what we have, generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's no need to explain what employment means or how business works breezy, these are basic things we all learn in primary school.

There's nobody saying you're not allowed call the man a prick either work away with all the insults you have festering away inside you.

I haven't a clue what Downtown Abbey is or where you are seeing "doffing the cap bullshit".

It just so happens we have different views on the man.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Irish people use their drive to open businesses and make society better and create jobs and taxes and you’re waffling about “upper class colonisers?”😖

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Businesses, products, services, life!!! You think it all just magically happens for the majority people who just punch in their average 9-5 jobs? Society and life is a team effort, but it’s business people who drive it!!! With help, of course..

The man was straight talking and honest, had humility where it was needed. Rest in peace, Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

Some nice comments from Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭SteM

No matter how I felt about a person I'd never come on to an RIP thread to abuse them. Same way I'd never shout 'he was a prick' at a passing funeral procession, I'd just just keep quiet. Maybe it's how I was raised.

Exactly. The man was a husband, and father of four children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It must be very sad for his family and friends. He was not a particularly old man.

On the non personal side, he was someone who lived a life of wealth of privilege. He had a terrible event - being kidnapped & held hostage by IRA - that undoubtedly shaped his adult life. He was a good example of what was wrong with Ireland of the 80's/90's - throwing money around to buy politicians. He was a frank speaker which some mistake as a breath of fresh air. But, like Michael O'Leary, it's easy to be frank with vast wealth & privilege.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement