Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camshaft pos sensor output & coil failure (perhaps?)

• 19-11-2023 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi, my A4 B6 1.6 developed a misfire on cylinder 2&3. It happens when the engine has warmed up and I have confirmed there is no spark, so an ignition issue rather than injector etc.

It has a coil pack rather than a coil on each plug.

I did a resistance check on the high tension side, getting 17k between the 2/3 and 1/4 leads, I was hoping to find 2/3 open, so if it's the coil, it's either on the low tension side, or a crack causing the failure. Problem is, the coil is at the back of the engine near the bulkhead and it's a big job to get to, or even change the leads. So, I want to make sure it's the problem before I change it.

To eliminate other components, I put a scope on the camshaft position sensor and am getting a nice stable square wave (while it was just running on 1&4). The crank sensor was replaced last year (unrelated) so I didn't bother looking at that.

The frequency of the square wave at idle, about 800rpm was about 6.5hz. So the camshaft was doing 400RPM, or 6.6 revs per second. So, 6.5hz would suggest the camshaft creates just one pulse per rev - I would have assumed it would be many more. Is this normal? Here is a pic of it, if the part I've circled is the sensor reluctor then it appears my sensor is OK.

Am I missing anything before I go to replace the coil?

Advertisement