Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder quote before planning

Options
  • 19-11-2023 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to build an extension but would like to know a ballpark figure before I go any further. Do builders give rough estimates or do they think you're a time waster?

I've drawn up the plan myself and got an engineer out but he wouldn't give an estimate if the build, just gave the cost of his work.

I've used an online estimate tool and would go ahead if it was that price. But don't want to waste money getting planning and tech drawings if it turns out to be much higher to build in the real world.

It's a bog standard extension of a couple of bedrooms so can't make any really cost reduction by changing plans.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Get a QS to do a budget costing for you. Usually quite a reasonable fee for budget costing and a QS will more intuitively have a better idea, from design drawings, what the construction cost should be, even if certain elements of the works are not fully detailed/specified (like estimate for electrics, plumbing, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Thanks, I didn't realise QS did pre planning cost estimates. Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If drawings / plans are detailed enough a fair idea of a ballpark figure. Unless you are definitely going to go ahead with it I wouldn't bother with a QS just yet. As you said it's bog standard bedrooms so straight forward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

I'm in a chicken and egg scenario. I only definitely going ahead if the price is acceptable but I'm having trouble getting a ballpark from a builder. I've tried 6. 3 of them, no answer or reply. 2 said they'd come out to look never did and no answer when followed up. 1 came and that's the last I heard if him.

Tbh I'm happy to pay a QS to get the ball rolling. At least then I can decide to not go ahead or pay the engineer for the detailed drawings to go to tender

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Any QS should offer an Indicative Budget service. Mine was €350 excl. VAT. A QS will have a fee structure/options from initial budgeting right through to final accounts when the work is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's a difficult one. I'd keep trying builders if I were you. You will get a price eventually but it's a moveable feast.

A price today certainly won't be applicable this time next year and that's the issue really. I'd allow 20 percent increase to be honest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Reason for the lack of response from builders is you have to bear in mind that most builders do not price jobs themselves these days. At least the ones I know/deal with do not! They all use QSs for pricing. So if asking most builders for a rough price, it will be either back of an envelope/finger in the air rough estimate, or, the builder will be paying a QS to prepare a budget estimate for you.

Given the stage you are at with your project - not 'shovel ready' - most builders will not spend the money and get a QS to prepare a budget estimate for you, and probably most do not want to commit to giving the back of an envelope/finger in the air estimate (and not really sure the value of that is either!).

If you have a 'shovel ready' project and full set of tender drawings/specifications, most builders will price then (as the job is more real and there is a chance they will get a job). Until then best to spend a couple of € and get a QS to prepare a budget cost for you. When you do get to the tender stage it can be useful to have the budget cost in your back pocket to benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sunjava

There appears to be a missing link in the residential construction space... everything appears to be done blind...unless you are willing to pay the various parties...and only at that point can you accurately assess affordability.

Advertisement