Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van broke down 2 days after purchase

• 19-11-2023 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a 09 van 3 weeks ago, drove the van for 4 days and van started to sound like a tractor, contacted dealership where I bought it and they said to bring to them as still under warranty.

They said the rocker was gone on engine, so they repaired it, they then repaired a 2nd rocker gone, and last week they decided the issue was the timing chain,so they fixed it too, van was due to be back to me on Thursday. They rang me Friday to say the sump was damaged,restricting the oil flow to the engine and that caused all the issues,

Now they say I damaged the sump so I should pay.

I drove the van for 4 days and while I know its only a 2009, I did spend every penny I have on it, I've no way to get to work as they gave me a car as replacement and I can't fit my tools In it, so I havnt worked in 3 weeks.

My questions are should they not have noticed the sump before changing the rockers. I definitely didn't hit anything to damage the sump but they're insisting I did. Citizens info are stating they should give me a refund as the fault occurred within 2 weeks of the vehicle purchase so was deemed faulty on sale and I can cancel my short term contract. Garage laugh at me when I say this to them

I didn't get to test drive van, as gear linkage was gone so I paid a deposit on a Wednesday, and collected on a Friday, and they said they serviced it then too

I'm at my wits end with them as I don't know what to do next. I've no faith in the van nor them anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If sump was damaged and restricted oil flow why did the oil light did not through on light.

Oil starvation would / should have thrown up warning signs and replacing rockers and timing chain things should have been noticed?

Does sump need to be dropped while replacing timing chain and sprockets?

What model is it as others who have replaced them would know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Nissan primastar

Yes, I thought lights should of shown on dash but no engine management light was on, nothing.

They have been trying to fix it since 1/11. I collected 27/10

Each week when I phone they say I'll have it that week, that it's a rocker or timing chain. Now it's all my fault

Like I said, I'm extremely stressed and totally broke over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Renault engines so not sure if you need to take legal advice ,citizens advice bureau ?

Hopefully others can chip in advice also.

Advertisement