Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable fixings for bathroom handrails?

• 21-11-2023 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just had a bathroom re tiled, it is used by my disabled brother. There were hand rails on the walls and I had to take them off to have the room re tiled.

There are 12mm plywood walls that the tiles are on, and in the studwall cavity there are sheets of foam insulation.

So, I didn't mark where the studs were before tiling over the walls so I can find them to screw direct into them. I have bought 2 makes of stud finder but they couldn't locate the wooden studs.

I was then planning then on using the spring toggle type of fixing to mount the handrails, but because of the solid foam insulation they won't be able to open up when I push them through the whole to enable me to tighten them up to the back of the plywood wall.

So I was wondering what does anyone recommend for good and strong fixings that i can use so that the solid foam insulation won't be a hindrance, bearing in mind they could have the full weight of a man pulling on them.

Any recommendations for fixings and where I can get them would be great.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How thick is the foam, what type of wall is behind the foam, and was it regular Ply or Birch plywood you used

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Tikka391

It wasn't us that built the house, but I think it's normal ply.

The sheets of foam are 100mm they fill the cavity and are good and tight to the back of the ply.

The other side of the cavity is the plasterboard wall for the adjoining room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The tiles themselves are grounds. I would prefer to use regular red wall plugs and the tiles as grounds rather than using plasterboard fixings.

The grab rails have six screw holes. This is a lot of screw holes. More than enough for tiles on plasterboard, assuming tiled correctly and not blobbed on. The only danger with tiles as the grounds is if bad tiler didn't tile correctly to the plasterboard. I work in 4 to 8 bathrooms each day I drill into tiles every day. Tiles are plenty strong enough.

I've an 83 inch tv held to the wall with six screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It should be easier to find the studs in the adjoining room and from that you'll be able to find them behind the tiles.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Tikka391

• Advertisement
Advertisement