Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Cycle route.

Options
  • 21-11-2023 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Getting a bit bored of cycling the canal ways of Meath/Westmeath/Kildare

and I'm wondering if this route below can be cycled or is it just for hikers/walkers?

Cheers.

Glendalough Lake Walk Route (gps-routes.co.uk)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The link won't open for me, but if it's around the lower lake up to the upper lake, yes can be cycled but you would want to be early or late in the day given the numbers of people walking (same as Vartry trails). Higher up is quieter, and fine, but not much flat gravel in Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Thanks a million. Try this link. Not to worry if it doesn't open.

I was there on Sat and it didn't seem that busy, but it wasn't nice weather so I'd say folk preferred to be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

That route seems to go up the Spinc. If that's the case, you wouldn't be cycling it. You could cycle the other side of the lake, but it would be short enough on a bike, and busy at the weekends or on a nice day. The route up through the Miner's Village wouldn't be great on a bike either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Gravel map has some routes around Glendalough/Laragh, I haven't made it that far myself so can comment on how good or bad they are

You also find some routes up that way on the Gravel Routes Ireland group on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111809660697373

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you're used to cycling along canals, are you sure that you want to suddenly take on some of the big hills, especially ones which aren't paved? There are plenty of hilly areas around Kildare, even close to the Grand Canal e.g. Boston & Lyons Hills and those around Saggart/Kilteel/Rathmore and a short hop away are the Wicklow mountains.

If I'm getting the wrong end of the stick in terms of your abilities then the R756 road heading NW from Glendalough is a good spin. You could do a loop from there up towards the Blessington Lakes, to manor Kilbride and on to Sally Gap and then back down to Laragh

Edit: Not sure why I'm assuming you're on a road bike but anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

From the description, that was my thoughts too. Mind you it’s a very long time ago since I used to walk up there, but the Spinc would put a long hike in hike-a-bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Oh God no, hills and unpaved paths wouldn't be my cup of tea. I was in Glendalough on Sat and noticed the nice paved

paths by the lake and was wondering what distance they are. I only do leisurely cycles of about an hour or 90 mins while

listening to a Podcast or 2. I done some walking around the lake a long long time ago and can't remember the distance it

was. I'll throw the bike in the car one of these fine mornings and check the lake path out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was a security issue with the site as to why I couldn't open, didn't realise it was the spinc. Very little of that not hike a bike. Plenty of loops up around derrybawn, but lot's of climbing too, and definitely gravel/ fireroad.

You'd probably get away with some of the Avonmore way on a road bike - they've fine gravel from the Stump near Rathdrum along the river as far as Clara Vale church. But again, can be busy with walkers. And around Avondale is pretty smooth too iirc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I reckon you'd be more comfortable with something more like the short Blessington Lake loop...

...or even the slightly tougher long loop...

You could park up in various places e.g. Blessington or Manor Kilbride. It is road all the way which in general has a good surface. The route frequently will have cyclists so most drivers tend to be quite decent when passing.

Advertisement