Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1980 bungalow bathroom renovation.

• 21-11-2023 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pedro6105

Hi all

Said I make a thread about renovations to my bathroom. I purchased the house in March 2020 fine solid house. Only thing I despised was the bathroom, it had been done up ( debatable in my mind) a few years by the previous owner. Workmanship was very poor in my untrained eye.

So last week I bit the bullet and gave into my wife to upgrade it.

The more I do the more issue I find, but as they say its all about the journey 🤔

the tiling was very poor especially around the window

exposed pipes running to the cistern along the wall

and for some ungodly reason they installed a plastic ceiling which I think is horrible.

pics below of what I’m starting with.

For some reason pic’s are sideways 🤬

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Only answer is gut everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Probably a diy previously

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pedro6105

I’m only doing it myself but I dunno how anyone could think this was good enough.

the tiling around the window to put it politely was creative

can someone explain why pic’s turned on me 🤦‍♂️

I’ll post some pics on the demolition when I figure out why they are turning.

Turns out this it has been “renovated “ more than once.

took off first layer of floor tiles.

they were stuck on to more floor tiles

which in turn were it seem laid on a bed of adhesive/mortar on top of Lino as far as I can see.

some tiles lad on loose fill covering pipes while other just lifted what ever concrete was covering the pipes

waste pipe from bath was never glued at the joint so was weeping under the tiles

• Advertisement

Definitely diy Job. Make sure seal up the walls and use self-levelling on the floor. Don't leave those concrete holes as is. Even in respect of radon gas etc.

Plan is to fill in all holes and put self levelling compound done once plumber has rerouted all the water pipes to their new location.

while removing wall tile on bath side

some are coming off clean amd

some are pulling off skim coat.

do I try and take it all back to original plaster by scraping off all the skim or if it’s solid can I leave it.

Original tiles obviously not sealed as water stains down the back of the tiles.

Your going to habe to use tile backer and seal this area anyway. Just make sure the surface is flat and free of loose material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't help with the bathroom but some of your pics are posting sideways because they're too big.

Either resize before posting or take a screenshot of them and post the screenshot.

Good luck with the bathroom, hopefully you can cut the tiles correctly instead of filling gaps with offcuts! 😂

my tiling can’t be any worse than previous anyway. 🫣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Fair play that was a disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That looks like the job from hell. The DIY job which keeps giving. From this side of the keyboard I can only offer prayers (and some DIY advice if needed).😁

I think it might be because they were attached as files rather than attached as images as boards has a photo resizer which also strips out the metadata if you attach an image. Use the photo button - second one from the left rather than the attach button on the right.

And OP, you know about this product or did you have a plan to go for a wet-room?

Not planning on a wet room. I think I’ve enough on my hands as it is. Just plan on installing a bath/shower combined, new skirted toilet and cabinet with integrated sink.

@listermint would water proof slab be adequate instead of backer board. The more I look the more issues I’m finding so I’m try to get as much as I can without splashing too much cash.

(not answering for listermint) How do you mean water-proof slab?

The backer boards which I have used are these:

They will provide some decoupling and waterresistance to the walls. You then obviously use a waterproof grout on the tiles and the Classi seal at the bath/shower and you've eliminated any moisture from getting into the walls or onto the floor.

Best of luck with it. All the hard work will be worth it and a great sense of achievement once complete. Keep us updated.

Just one question, are you planning on changing the radiator? Recommend you do as it will allow you easy access to tiles and skirting board behind and it looks pretty knackered, also the current radiator may distract from all the renovation works aesthetic wise once complete. Also radiators have improved greatly over the years in terms of efficiency. May involve a plumber unfortunately but sounds like you have one engaged anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Following! Have a similar job to do but starting from a much easer base thankfully, best of luck!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

ive a new towel radiator got as-well so everything will be brand new when finished As you say it would be a shame to ruin the look by not upgrading it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'd never advocate putting a shower area in without sealing the walls of it. Tanking kits are inexpensive now 50 to 60 quid. And no they are not just used for wet rooms. Doesn't take much for water to penetrate your concrete wall there and manifest in the room next door.

Ask me how I know 😄, I now tank the walls for shower areas without question.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As someone whose shower has leaked through their ceiling twice now, I would 100% tank around it if I got a chance to do it again.

Pretty sure you just need to tank directly around wet areas, rather than the whole bathroom, unless you're planning on a wet room, right?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Junkjack

classi seal around the shower and bath

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Junkjack

as far as I know its a building regulation requirement now Classi Seal

Done a bit today.

removed the hideous old ceiling panels

The gift that keeps on giving.

Found live wire behind the wall tiles but was ok as was insulated with cellotape.

All walls stripped of tiles and plan for tomorrow is dig trench for toilet, sink and bath.

Is that a nail hole through that wire?

Just a nick in the outter plastic. Had cell tape over the end and hidden behind the tiles. I’m glad I didn’t try to drill the walls for a cabinet over the last few years 🫣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would suggest putting on foam backed plasterboard on the outside walls. 100mm if you can spare the space but even half this will make a huge difference in retaining heat.

Plastic on the ceiling is most likely because they kept getting mould from the steam. A lot of people think plastic is the answer. Doesn't look too bad on the ceiling but Jasus it looks tacky as hell on the walls. Some landlords put it on the walls rather than repair walls and retiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would suggest putting on foam backed plasterboard on the outside walls.

+ 50mm on the ceiling will have a huge benefit. Then no need for any anti mould measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

100 % Agree with those who suggested dry line the exterior wall when at it, relatively cheap but huge impact in terms of heat retention and comfort in the bathroom, had it done when refurbishing bathroom last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I have a similar project of doing a bathroom in a 70s bungalow. I certainly propose to line the exterior walls with 75 or 100mm board. However, in the case of the ceiling there is a quite a bit on insulation above the ceiling. That being the case, is there any real benefit in adding insulating board on the ceiling. Mould has not been a real problem.

The plumber who piped the sewers must design water parks in his spare time. Never saw so many bends for no reason. At least I can see why we had a blocked sewer pipe regularly. Pipe went into T and just dumped the solids 🤬

Five rights to make a left? 😂 That's bad alright.

One step at a time. 👍️

Advertisement