Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He was in and out of the team but he was a 2 year U20 player which normally suggests he's a serious operator. Also played outhalf for them a bit.

He played Leinster in the Champion's Cup when he was still with Castres as a 19 year old and he was well flagged in advance as a future star….and he was brilliant against Leinster if a little raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

While I agree with your point about hypotheical future teams, that 2016 team produced more than Ryan - Porter, Stockdale , Deegan and I think Keenan - a very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I know. You've clearly missed my point. There's plenty of that squad nowhere near the pro game now and are at best playing ail and some not even playing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Didnt miss your point , you name checked James Ryan only, when ther was a bunch more that became good pros from that team - you missed my point, but doesnt matter you just want to argue everything, stop being petty, its only **** opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Every year some very good players come through and there's some that don't make it. Even in weaker years, there's been many pro's developed.

Sometimes, I feel that there's players passed over that really could have developed. Bobby Sheehan is one that comes to mind. I also think the locks from Ulster a couple of years back looked good prospects. MacNamee I think and I can't recall the other lads name. I would give Chris Cosgrave a gander if I was looking for a lad that could develop late. It's certainly tough to gauge promise in underage level and some players are slow burners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Interesting activity. In trying to keep it solely to how they performed at U20s and not since then (or factoring in their potential too)

1 - Jack Boyle

2 - Gus McCarthy

3 - Paddy McCarthy

4 - Evan O'Connell

5 - Conor O'Tighearnaigh

6 - Rueben Crothers

7 - Ruadhan Quinn

8 - Brian Gleeson

9 - Fintan Gunne

10 - Sam Prendergast

11 - James Nicholson

12 - Hugh Gavin

13 - Hugh Cooney

14 - Finn Treacy

15 - Henry McErlean

Tough exercise.

Despite the majority of these players winning the U20s grand slam or getting very close, there are still some gaps in class here.

There are also excellent players missing out.

Scott Wilson, Ronan Foxe, Joe Hopes, Diarmuid Mangan, James Culhane, Sean Edogbo, James McNabney, Ben Brownlee, Fionn Gibbons, Pa Campbell were all stunning players at U20s level but were pipped by (to me) players who performed better at that age grade.

There are players in there who I don't feel will go on to have long senior careers (and I really hope I'm wrong… make me eat my words lads!) in COT, Crothers, Nicholson, Cooney and Treacy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think there is too much recency bias in that team, especially in the backs. The 2022 team had the most exciting backline for me and not a single player makes the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

Dont recall any standouts in the 2022 backline

Brownlee was the standout back in that side.

• Advertisement

1. Jack Boyle

2 - Gus McCarthy

3 - Paddy McCarthy

4 - Evan O'Connell

5 - Conor O'Tighearnaigh

6 - James Culhane

7 - Ruadhan Quinn

8 - Brian Gleeson

9 - Fintan Gunne

10 - Sam Prendergast

11 - Hugh Gavin

12 - Ben Brownlee

13 - Hugh Cooney

14 - Finn Treacy

15 - Henry McErlean

There's some who'll flame out for sure. In saying that, there's some who weren't stand outs at 20's level that will be good players. Mallon strikes me as one who could go a long way. I really can't begin to fathom if there's any international players in the recent editions of the 20's. I'm hoping Devine makes the grade as a 9. From this current crop, I like Ward and Hugo McLaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Gunne had a high profile coming out of school but I felt he had a very average 6N - Devine definitely looked better in his U20 performances (even discounting his recent promise at senior level).

Mullins probably worth a mention too on the wing - has kind of flown under the radar since due to his Sevens focus. But it's very competitive.

And why do you lose your s*** whenever anyone on here questions any ofyour opinions. I only name checked Ryan but thought it was obvious from my post I was referring to lot more than him.bdidnt think that needed to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Recency bias will always be a factor of course.

But the 2022 backline was decent but with better options in the most recent 2 years I feel.

The players that started the 6 nations 2022 and the Summer series that year mostly were the likes of:

Pa Campbell, Chay Mullins, Jude Postlethwaite, Fionn Gibbons, Charlie Tector, Matthew Devine, Tony Butler, Aitzol King, Dan Hawkshaw among others.

I mentioned Campbell vs McErlean, to be fair that was a closish call. Both are stunning full backs and in the same team one could conceivably switch one to the wing. But I wanted to keep it as much positional as possible (hence Culhane not getting in over Gleeson)

Mullins and King especially were decent options there on the wings given the relative lack of top class I included. I wouldn't be fighting too hard including either of them over Nicholson but Finn Treacy I feel has shown a lot more pace and rugby nous.

Tbf to Devine he was excellent at U20s level and as someone else argued he could be considered over Gunne. I would argue that Gunne did deliver on his hype though and also added a very accomplished kicking game during his time there. Regularly getting excellent change on his box kick clearances.

Just covering both posts with the same reply.

Definitely arguments for other players in some positions. Less so in others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its hard to separate upside from performance in the actual u20s.

In saying that, i'd say the two best performances have also the two highest upsides lately.. gleeson and mccarthy in last year's world cup. They were amazing. Assuming mccarthy learns how to scrummage to an acceptable level they are both just unbelievable prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lonester99

I reckon over time now that systems are improving and player development is becoming more of a science with training routines/S&C etc we'll see a higher conversion of talent from u20s teams into the pro ranks than we probaby have 15 years ago, some of the teams ive seen in the past have maybe had one pro player potential, now youre regularly seeing teams with 5 plus players who could make the step up in the short term.

By the scrumaging seen so far from Ireland, what is the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Gunne ’a very average 6N’ are you kidding me he was a standout performer on a standout team, key 8/9/10 partnership role alongside Sam Prendergast & Gleeson in delivering 6N Slam. Interesting to read the views , always going to be a favouritism to recent teams but fun to exchange all the same. We all have our ’spotted him at schools level’ selection so we will too be biased , I’d have Culhane in for sure. Back to this year crew I hope improve for next game that was too squeaky for my liking

What's the issue you have with the scrummaging so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Boyle

McCormick

McCarthy

O’Connell

Hopes

Culhane

Quinn

Gleeson

Devine

Prendergast

Mullins

Gavin

Postlethwaite

Treacy

Campbell

Cause its only you who knit picks every single post - move on, thers more to life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

*nit picks

I knew this would be enjoyable

Boyle

McCarthy

McCarthy

O’Connell

O’Tierneigh

Culhane

Quinn

Gleeson

Gunne

Prendergast

Mullins

Gavin

Cooney

Tracey

Osborne

It's iffy! Hit or miss. Georgia got the better of the scrum. Italy also until the subs came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

i know we are maybe shoehorning guys into back rows but i prefer mcnabney to culhane at 6 specifically.

Georgia were huge. They'd props with top14 experience as well. And it's far from an issue for ireland

Georgia have the strongest scrum in the comp. It was always going to be a struggle. Was madness not to start Spicer at 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Advertisement