Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Party Costs in Conveyance

Options
  • 22-11-2023 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

Is it unusual for a solicitor to request up front payment for outlays on a conveyance? So far there are two small outlays and I am requested to transfer the money to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not that I am involved in conveyancing every day but every involvment I have had has been a bill at the end that itemises those types of things as opposed to a number of ongoing bills for these types of outlays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

From my memory, I think I had to pay some advance to the sol, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thank you for replies. Split views. Previously I have also just got one bill at the end with all fees taken out of the proceeds of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

They must be operating on a shoestring or be in dire straits if they're looking for outlays up front, would put me off them tbh, never been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That was my thinking too. I have to continue with them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know a few solicitors who look for the €40 up front payment payment to cover the cost of ordering the certified copy of the folio and/or the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not been asked 3x (two purchases, one remortgage) but that was with the same solicitor who gets all my business - still wasn't asked the first time which was the first time I'd ever dealt with them though.

But I suspect you're just going to get a mix of yes and no responses here!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not in my experience no. And yes it would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If there is an increase in purchases falling through, particularly since rate increases raised the amount new buyers might have to pay, then it is understandable that solicitors might want payment for work/searches done. It wouldn’t put me off, why would it? I would owe the money anyway.

Advertisement