Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owners of derelict house wants to plumb into my septic tank

Options
  • 23-11-2023 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The owner of a derelict property adjacent to my home is starting renovation works .

The derelict property was 40+ years ago plumbed directly into my septic tank ie 40 + years ago two dwelling houses shared a common septic tank.  The septic tank and percolation area are within my property. Deeds of my property have no burdens with respect to septic tank usage

The derelict property has had no resident in the that dwelling for last 20+ years and the owners of that property have never contributed to the upkeep of the septic tank. The drains that run from the derelict property into my septic tank are probably still operational or could be restored

What can I do now to prevent the future users of the derelict property from starting to use my tank again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Speak with them, explain your position, it sounds very reasonable.

Or buy a 4" bung and block the drain into the tank 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No pun intended but that's a messy situation. While burdens haven't been registered it doesn't necessarily mean that you have clean title to your property. Do you know why the tank was shared? Did the other party not have sufficient land to install their own tank at the time?

As always it's best, if possible, to maintain good relations with the owners/occupiers and as stated above talk it over with them. However before doing so you might want to take a little bit if legal advice on the matter to see what rights you and your neighbours have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If they have started renovating they most likely know where the tank is. Pop over and have a chat, their plans may well include a new septic tank.

It's not unusual to find houses built close together by family members sharing one septic tank and even one bored well water supply and driveway. All is fine until one goes to sell, or there is a falling out. A 40/50 year old tank is unlikely to have the capacity for two modern households occupied full time. As Muffler said , it's messy now, and could be a lot messier down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It would be attractive for the people who are renovating the derelict property to use the same septic tank or at least state this arrangement in their grant applications. Otherwise they need PP for a new system and that is both expensive and more rigorous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I knew of a case a few years ago. Might not be the same situation as yours, but worth pointing out what was done.

Friend bought a house with a septic tank beside a derelict house (well not lived in for 3 or 4 years as the owner died). The houses used to be owned by brothers and used the one septic tank, on my friends property.

The other house got sold and the new owners approached my friend about going into the septic tank. My friend just said that he was planning on removing the septic tank and putting a biocycle at the other end of the garden and that the new neighbors would be better off getting their own in their own garden.

That was the end of it. he never got the biocycle. They got one. noone ever mentioned it again. They are all friends now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Based on what I am facing, if neighbour applies for PP, your septic tank will come into focus for the LA and the EPA

https://www.epa.ie/take-action/in-the-home/wastewater/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

being connected to your septic tank for 40 years may create and easement for that property. Regardless if it was register or not. as above, I'd thread carefully.

Advertisement