Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing/Tenant in situ

Options
  • 23-11-2023 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Have been in my home for 20 years, was renting privately and at the start of this year my landlord accepted an offer from council to buy the property thorough the tenant in situ scheme. Renting unfurnished,EVERTHING except the kitchen units belongs to me. Twenty years ago I was with my husband and 3 children, 2 years ago due to domestic violence husband gone, (I stayed in the house and landlord accepted hap.) One adult child still living with me as my carer. 

I had a letter from TD telling me my tenancy was secure. 

My local council now wants me to move, which I'm not opposed to, but somewhere vastly smaller that isn't suitable for my medical requirements.

I can't possibly sell 80% of my furniture, I don't know if any of it will fit, neither of us drive and we cant do what the council laughably suggested of a "car boot sale"? 

Can I be forced out? Of course I'm very grateful that I'm a council tenant and that I'm being offered a brand new house. I won't be permitted to see it until after documents are signed, and I will get a week's notice to move everything out. 

I use a mobility scooter to get out and about in town and sometimes a wheelchair also at home when I can't walk. They are aware of this.

Don't know what to do in this situation!!

I'm petrified I will get a call at a moments notice to move, possibly even before Christmas!

Many thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I thought the tenant in situ purchase scheme was to keep tenants in the property. Do the council want to move you to a property that is wheelchair accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Nope. Just a smaller property as I have a bedroom more than I need.

I use a mobility scooter to get around out and about, occasionally use a wheelchair at home when I can't walk.

The new property they want to move me to is just much smaller, not a hope of moving a chair around when I need to.

Advertisement