Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Purchased on Finance in the Garage for over 40 days

• 23-11-2023 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I would appreciate your time in helping me with this.

I bought a Volkswagen on PCP last Summer. It broke down in October and it went to a Volkswagen dealership for warranty repair.

It has been over 40 days and the dealership has never been able to give me an update on when the required parts will be delivered. They won't tell me if they are in transit, of whether the factory has them in stock. What they have done is dismantle part of the car to such a point that they can't give me the car back while we wait for parts.

I have been provided with a replacement car but it is not like for like. It is costing significantly more to run (my car is an electric, the replacement is a diesel). The replacement car is also much smaller, meaning I can not carry around large items in the replacement car like I would have in my car. Finally, the replacement car is worth less than a third of the cost of the Volkswagen, if I had purchased the replacement car in PCP.

I am struggling on many fronts with this, so I would appreciate your advice on what legal basis I have.

I have got the car about 150 days ago, and it has been in the shop for the last 40 or so.

Thank you for your time in reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, we don't know what the terms of your warranty say. What do they say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thank you for the reply. I don't have the terms and conditions handy but my post was seeking advice relating to consumer protection law and if any avenues exist there.

The car is still in the garage with no ETA on the parts, and no indication that the vehicle will be fixed this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's either an ID3, ID4 or ID5 none of which are in short supply to any VW dealer, demand the same car as a replacement from them. Have you even asked for one?

I have a cupra born, my car was in for a check for a day under warranty and they gave me a horrible Arona, it was in again and they gave me a cupra born saying they had learned their lesson and giving people like for like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks, but under the terms of the breakdown cover, the car is being sourced from Enterprise. I have no route to get a car from the dealership. They do not have an ID Buzz in my spec, that is for certain.

Long story short, if the car breaks down as is brought to the dealership on a truck, then it's an Enterprise rent a car from VW Assist. If the car gets to the garage under its own steam, it's a dealership courtesy car which I would have had to pay for up until it could be confirmed the issues I was having were covered under warranty.

Advertisement