Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is SIRO limited to 100M upload?

Options
  • 23-11-2023 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I recently switched to Blacknight SIRO with a connection of 2G download /200M upload. However, after the switch Blacknight told me that SIRO only supports 100M upload at the moment due to some infrastructure limitation and SIRO needs to do something on their side. SIRO sent me back to Blacknight. However, Blacknight brought some solid technical arguments. Apparently, Blacknight is begging SIRO for 3 years now to make this upgrade. So is SIRO dead in the water?

Just curious, does anyone have these kind of speeds on SIRO? Is there any issue with SIRO not keeping up with the latest technologies?

Thanks!

Post edited by lucio7 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

SIRO is not dead in the water as they are clearly offering the same speeds as OpenEir and VM. I guess they probably need to upgrade some of their infrastructure to enable it.

Blacknight's website does say that the 200Mb/sec upload is dependent on the network used - I'm guess that must be the OpenEIr network then

Some of the business products advertised on the SIRO website have an upload speed of 150Mb while enterprise is up to 10GB upload so technically the network is capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lucio7

I spoke with one of the decision makers in SIRO and he avoided to come up with a reason why it’s 100M upload instead of 200M for a 2G package. Instead he repeatedly blamed the internet providers for not communicating this clearly enough to the customers.

I also checked on Virgin Media's website, no mention of the 100M upload for 2G package. I had to call them to confirm. What now? Blame them too? I wouldn't go this way, this is not the main issue here.

What’s next? 4G/100M maybe? Is Internet a one-way street? Again, are we blaming providers and maybe even the customers for having strange expectations?

Post edited by lucio7 on

150M upload is for 500M download. Thanks, but no!

Again, SIRO's poor choices for products.

Post edited by lucio7 on

Just an example, the top package for residential in Portugal is 10G/10G for €100 a month. Should we be cheering the 100M upload in this country? Really?

https://www.meo.pt/servicos/casa/fibra/speed-edition#pacotes-root

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I get 200 up on my Digiweb SIRO. I have done so since I joined in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 nr3

I get 200 up too - 2018 Vodafone Siro connection. 1000 down, 200 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used to get 200 up in my old house. Anyone who had it previously will continue to have it but not for new connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's good to know. I was planning to leave in Jan when my contract is up to join one of the cheaper SIRO ISPs, but I won't be doing that if it could cut the upload speed in half.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I have 200 up also. I rang Digiweb to see if they could give me an offer but keep the 200 up, and they said if I changed to any new package, the speed would drop to the new standard 100up. In the end I was offered a fiver a month off whilst staying on the same legacy tier, which I took and stuck with Digiweb.

I don't even upload much but I still like having it available when I need it!

Very interesting, thanks!

So it looks like SIRO has cut the upload from 200M to 100M. Brilliant vision there! I’m curious to learn from the genious in charge of SIRO. We are going back in time instead of looking into the future. We are not even talking about gigabytes, lightspeed and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I suspect that they cut it because, at the time, OpenEir were only offering 100 upload. I remember I had 200 on Vodafone via SIRO while a friend only had 100 on Vodafone via OpenEir. It was probably easier to cut SIRO to 100 than have to explain to some users why they’re only getting 100 while others were getting 200.

I suspected that would be the case, because really, it doesn't make any sense. So it's basically shenanigans to stop competition and innovation, leveling down everybody else just to suit Eir's interests?

I just don't get it how Portugal is able to offer 10G upload (symmetric) for residential and we got stuck on 100M to play politics in this country. I have a 2G connection so 100M is frustrating. Very little incentive to go for a 2G connection at the moment, as even the download, very few routers are able to receive 2G or pass it on to the local network. That kind of router would be expensive too. So the upload was maybe a good reason to upgrade. But that's gone.

Another example, in France, the top residential package is 5G/1G for €58/month.

As you notice, the upload is not 5% of the download as it is in Ireland. SIRO needs to learn that Internet is not a one-way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Hey Lucio, I have signed up to Blacknights 2Gb service through SIRO too but having horrible problems with it at the moment. In their defence they’re doing everything they can to help and I’m hoping we can get to the bottom of it, but I’m curious what is the ONT you have on the wall and also what Router are you using for it? Thanks

Hi allanroche,

When I signed up for the 2G connection from Blacknight they sent an engineer to replace my old ONT. See attached, old (left) vs new (right). The new one is more advanced and it looks better too. I think the reason is it supports 10Gbps Ethernet instead of 1Gbps. I noticed that the ping from the router dropped from 2ms to 1ms. So clearly, it's better performance overall.

In the meantime SIRO remains silent, no replies to my queries. Calling the customer support is even worse, on a working day, during the working hours, the answering machine goes something like this: "Thank you for calling SIRO, goodbye! [hung up]".

I just wonder, is this the future for Ireland that people should be cheering?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KattMan

I have also signed up with Blacknight (2Gb) through SIRO and am I experiencing issues. I'm using the Unifi UDM SE and cannot achieve more than 1Gb speed, tested with both 2.5Gb and SFP+ 10Gb (using an SFP to RJ45 adapter) WAN ports.

While the test speed is around 1Gb, my download speed is only 24-30MB/s (240Mb/s), regardless of the source or location of the download.

I still have my old Virgin Media 1Gb line, which consistently gives me a 1Gb speed test and download speed, using the same UDM SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

I'm having similar issues, I have a Mikrotik RB5009 with a 2.5Gb port and an SFP+ and a CCR2004 with two SFP+ ports but I'm limited to about 500-550Mb/s on any download. I have tried all sorts of combos of setups using different ports (SFP+, 2.5G and 1G) as the WAN port, no firewall, no other devices but there is no difference. I had considered the UDM Pro but I think I will hold off on that if you're having the same issue. Have you tested using the Speed Test app or browser? I find the browser wildly inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jmcy

Does the 2Gb packages still use PPoE?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KattMan

• Advertisement
Advertisement